1991 Wrangler Pilot Bearing Dilema

canoeboy45

I purchased an engine to replace the one in my '91 Wrangler. The engine I bought came from a 1992 Cherokee. The clutch pilot bearings are different. Does anyone know how to adapt the pilot bearings in the '92 engine to fit into the 91's standard transmission? Is there a pilot bearing conversion or a shaft adapter available?

Is the crank bore same diameter once you remove the bearing? I know when I ordered the motor for my 92. The cranks were different between auto and manual.

Is the crank bore same diameter once you remove the bearing? I know when I ordered the motor for my 92. The cranks were different between auto and manual.

The crank bore is different. It won't accept the '91 stock bearing. The bearings for the '92 motor has a much different pilot hole size. I'd like to know if there is some sort of adapting system to connect the '92 motor to the '91 transmission. If not, I fabricated an adapter bushing out of 1 inch brass nipple that will work if I don't find anything specifically made for this issue.

Does it have a bearing or a bushing? If its a bushing, can you turn it down or bore it out to fit? Your local auto parts store should be able to find what you need if you give them all the information and the guy behind the counter has a clue. Year of engine, Crank bore size, and year and type of transmision, Pilot hole size needed. If that doesn't work out, You could get a chunk of brass and have one turned out on a lathe to fit. I'm not a big fan of adapters.

Back