Snorkel

johnjoseph1995

I'm looking for a new snorkel to get for Christmas and I have a wrangler tj unlimited 06 and it's hard to find a nice and non expensive snorkel for it. Does anyone know where I may be able to get a cheap snorkel at?

You can get cheap ones off eBay but they are fiberglass not abs plastic. So they crack easy. There isn't much for snorkels out there.

I put the ARB snorkel on my '05... but I snagged it off of craigslist for $150 when a guy bought it but before it arrived he totaled his Jeep & just had the snorkel lying around collecting dust... I love it but it collects bugs easily (pantyhose fixes this... & mud too)

If you want to but new your looking at the $500 range for one. Cheap, Keep a look out on jeep fourms for someone selling one. Or just google "home made jeep snorkel"

might be a stupid question ,but why do i see every other type of 4x4 going thro water etc with a snorkel , and jeeps with none ,ive got one on the TJ ,i have never asked just never ,,oh make a snorkel not that hard really ,, ok give it to me i can take it.

As long as you know how deep the water is and where your air intake is u be fine lol. I've had a few close calls so I ran my intake into the cowl.

i just avoid really deep water. if its up to my flares, it almost to the filter and distributor is long ago under water

My distributor is pressurized from my heater box. Works amazing. And in Alberta if it's water it's deep lol.

My air box is 40"(+-1") above ground, and I have a stock air box.... never saw the use for a snorkle, as I don't ever think I've been deeper than my rockers. I'm not a fan of wet feet, or mud on most days.

-James

Something that folks can lose sight on when buying a snorkel, save for those of us that are former Marines whom have driven M151 jeeps. For fording not only the intake needs a snorkel......

5166847079_7759fa355b_b-1.jpg

when off loading from landing craft it ws important that the exhaust would be above water as well~otherwise it's similar to the old bananna up the tail pipe.

I like to yarn the tale of the procedure of driving these off the landing craft;
Note the two snorkels are above the cab? The driver doesn't get a snorkel (those are for the swabbies~just kiddin')
Before off loading you'd push the foot throttle down about 1/3 -1/2 and pull out the hand throttle, then stand on the body tub rail with your right hand on the steering wheel, and keeping your chin up!
Go figure, I always find a beachbreak hole~blub blub

"I'm not falling for the banana in the tail pipe"
Lol.
Semper Fi! And merry Christmas!

The way I see it, its an insurance policy. Sure, you can get water in the distributor, but in my experience, that tends to stop you AFTER you crossed the water. You can also kill many different sensors, or have a number of electrical issues. But I would take any ofthis issues over a drowned engine, especially out in the boonies...

Hi. About $380 new. Not cheap but good insurance is right!

Something that folks can lose sight on when buying a snorkel, save for those of us that are former Marines whom have driven M151 jeeps. For fording not only the intake needs a snorkel......

5166847079_7759fa355b_b-1.jpg

when off loading from landing craft it ws important that the exhaust would be above water as well~otherwise it's similar to the old bananna up the tail pipe.

I like to yarn the tale of the procedure of driving these off the landing craft;
Note the two snorkels are above the cab? The driver doesn't get a snorkel (those are for the swabbies~just kiddin')
Before off loading you'd push the foot throttle down about 1/3 -1/2 and pull out the hand throttle, then stand on the body tub rail with your right hand on the steering wheel, and keeping your chin up!
Go figure, I always find a beachbreak hole~blub blub
Seems things hadn't changed much since the date this photo was taken and when I was serving ~~>
7489989522_cca338a47f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back