Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Metal fender flares

Wonder how hard it would be to make a set of flares out of metal? First let me say that they are not going to be put on a show vehicle, so they dont have to be perfect. I was thinking along the lines of the old jeep trucks with the step side beds. Cut out the shape, two cuts, bend into shape, weld the two cuts and a little grinding. Anyone ever do anything like that?

2. Re: Metal fender flares

Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Wonder how hard it would be to make a set of flares out of metal? First let me say that they are not going to be put on a show vehicle, so they dont have to be perfect. I was thinking along the lines of the old jeep trucks with the step side beds. Cut out the shape, two cuts, bend into shape, weld the two cuts and a little grinding. Anyone ever do anything like that?
    I had been thinking along the same lines as you,considering the price of flares. It would be something uniqe, and keep it in design with it's forefathers would be pretty cool., and have fun doing it. My line of thought dosent involve bending. What I was thinking was to cut flat panels of aluminum and make the shape of the old style wheel wells and weld them togeather,and modify as I go . Would line them with rubber of some kind,other wise it's gonna sound like a machine gun at times.
    I think stainless steel would be much better to fab them out of ,but it's pricey.

Re: Metal fender flares

GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wish i could get me a hold of some of those

I just built a box to hold a coolant overflow tank out of a piece of siding metal, which I have a lot of it left, thats what give me the idea. I had a 66 jeep truck and the flares that it had are close to what I have in mind. I just cant spend $500 for a set of rubber bushwackers, although I like them!

5. Re: Metal fender flares

I just sawed, hacked and chiseled off my stock 89 flares. I would love to make some metal ones also. Please give ideas I need some advice also!

there is an old full size jeep pick up in the junkyard here. it has the step side looking bed. are those the flares you guys are talking about?
    03 rhd tj

7. Re: Metal fender flares

Any metal ones to fit over 33 s is what i need to make

8. Re: Metal fender flares

The style on this truck is what I was thinking about. Havent figured out the cut and paste function yet. But the style of fender on the 1950 jeep pickup.

Not hard, made plenty of them, all depends on your metal skills as to how nice they come out. when ever I've made them, I always try to ties them together, so the front usually gets a radiator hoop and the rear I will build an brace off the roll bars on the inside of the fender.
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

I dont know about you, but for me I rather keep the plastic ones. I run the Warn ones, and they have held out pretty well to abuse (I have torn them off twice already, and they go back on without issues).

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Hey jps4jeep, can you post some pics of those flares? Also, what do you mean by tying them in together?

12. Re: Metal fender flares

Hey jps4jeep, can you post some pics of those flares? Also, what do you mean by tying them in together?
    Yeah, and I wanted to know what you ment by the radiator hoop.

check out my build thread, the last couple pages will have the ones I built for my own jeep. unfortunately on my work PC photobucket is blocked so I can't post the others I've built that are saved in there.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/jeep-buil...-big-poop.html (Johnny's 94 yj "One Big Poop")
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

14. Re: Metal fender flares

waiting.
    Last edited by gennybro; 01-06-2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: something to do.

15. Re: Metal fender flares

Quote Originally Posted by gennybro View Post
    Still waiting!

Really, does your reading comprehension not work. Click the link.
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

17. Re: Metal fender flares

Excuse me ,but I thought this thread was about metal fender flares, I seen no such information about fender flares. Does your reading comprehension not work?

Quote Originally Posted by gennybro View Post
    Your ignorance is excused..

Read your question that I quoted.. you asked to see what was ment by radiator hoop, not a fender flare.

To further address the OP question, in my example I built the entire fender and not the flare, but what I posted is also a good example of what to do if you only build the flares. With a rigid metal flare on the front, if you should contact a tree or rock, the flare will crush the grille from a side impact, or will be pushed into the body tub from a front impact. In the rear an impact to a rigid flare would also tweek teh tub pretty bad. If your building the fender out of a material thinner (ie weaker) then the tub's construction, you more or less have wasted your time.
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

19. Re: Metal fender flares

we have another unnamed 4x4 in the garage in which the body is cut to accomadate new homemade metal flares. hg steel and angle iron, a bunch of welding. it is not done but coming along very nice. and we have exactly the room we want. PLUS since starting we have accumulated quite the nice metal working shop with all equipment, tools, rollers, and benders we have purchased. oops. good luck and god speed. nothing like doing it yourself!

20. Re: Metal fender flares

Quote Originally Posted by 95XJCountry View Post
    we have another unnamed 4x4 in the garage in which the body is cut to accomadate new homemade metal flares. hg steel and angle iron, a bunch of welding. it is not done but coming along very nice. and we have exactly the room we want. PLUS since starting we have accumulated quite the nice metal working shop with all equipment, tools, rollers, and benders we have purchased. oops. good luck and god speed. nothing like doing it yourself!
    post some pics,lets see what ya got.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last