Wheel size question

From what I understand the real problem with the dana 35 is when you add a locker...but if your not trying to wheel up the side of a moutain with your foot to the floor I think you'll be able to make it last untill you can upgrade. Fyi any junkyard upgrade (44, 8.8, etc...) will require welding, custom parts, etc...you can pop for some already to bolt in axles but you looking at a solid $1000 or more, from what I've seen advertised.

When it does break on the road you can always just disconnect the rear drive shaft and use the front axle to get you home

luis said:
When it does break on the road you can always just disconnect the rear drive shaft and use the front axle to get you home

If he does that w/o an sye kit all the tcase fluid will run out the slip yoke hole...beside being a c clip rear axle if a shaft breaks it will slide out of the axle so you'll need to do some creative rigging to keep ur tire on...

eric m said:
If he does that w/o an sye kit all the tcase fluid will run out the slip yoke hole...beside being a c clip rear axle if a shaft breaks it will slide out of the axle so you'll need to do some creative rigging to keep ur tire on...

I didnt even think off that.. well then I guess when it does break call a tow truck. If you have full coverage on your vehicle they should be free up to a certain miles

89 D35 is not a C-clip axle. all 87-89 were press bearing/retainer axles, 90-on were c-clip.

a gears set may cost $200, thats for one set of gears. you will need 2 sets of gears and you will also need 2 master install kits as well. not to mention that you will need to address the carriers. the 3.73 and down D30/D35 carriers will not accomidate 4.88 gears, and as far as I know they do not make a thick cut gear set for those axles.

You can drive a jeep on the road, with an open carrier and 35" tires and believe if or not, the axle will not spontaniously explode. the biggest concern with a D35 with larger tires in a street driven jeep is sheering the pinion and gear deflection. assuming you are not going to do neutral drops or 2nd gear clutch dumps, you should be fine.

and too address the initial question, you can fit pretty much any tire on any rim (assuming same rim diameter), I've run 15.5" wide 35" TSL SX on a 15x7 rim and it worked awesome, also ran a 11" wide Q78 on a 15x8" wide rim.

you will need more then a 4" lift to run 35's. The Dana 35 will break and could ruin your day as you will no be able to drive it. once the axle shaft breaks the whole shaft and wheel will walk right out.

After hearing its over a grand to upgrade to 8.8 i think ill just slap in another stock axel in it after it breaks some day

jasonc said:
After hearing its over a grand to upgrade to 8.8 i think ill just slap in another stock axel in it after it breaks some day

Stronger axles shafts may to the trick aslong as you don't plan on locking the rear end

Well i have no intention to lock the rear end. I figured maybe a couple or few hundred bucks to upgrade axels with salvage parts, but from what I'm hearing it loks like a one to two grand upgrade. So replacing something after it breaks with same stock salvage parts for a couple hundred bucks sounds like the way to go for me since i do little off road

The best thing I will tell you is what my Dad said years ago, play nice. Yes, you can run 35's, I would regear, but for now, be easy on it. You pointed out you have no intent on going rock crawling, mountain climbing or jumping, be easy on it and see what happens. Save money, discuss with your wife and remember, a happy wife makes a happy life. Enjoy your jeep, ask questions but as you said, your not super mechanic, use your head. Bigger is not always better. 35's will look cool, topless is better. Wave to fellow jeepers, get involved with local clubs. You would be amazed at the knowledge it brings to the table and best yet, the parts that can be found. I needed some parts, a friend had them, he needed a roll bar and top I could not use, instant trade.

Thanks weylyn! I actually scored a set of 4 used mickey tompson baha claw 35s today. Not much tread left, but got them for a hundred bucks. Going to throw them on to replace my 33s in a couple days when the shop is done with my lift. Going to drive like a granny and try to set a world record of longest time ever driven on 35s with stock axles and gears before busting something. Hope it lasts more than a day! Lol

I have had the d35 in all of my 6 jeeps, but one. I have never once broken a d35

Boy that's great news! May be hope for me lol. There is a rear dana 35 axle here on craig list with 410 gears for 125. Should i pick it up for a spare?

Back