Help with fender and grill replacement on TJ

indianajeeper

Hello, can anyone help me with replacing a grill and passenger side fender on a 97 TJ.
I ran into a mule deer out in CO and busted my grill and fender and recently ran across some replacement parts on ebay that match my paint color and are in excellent shape and ordered them. They should be mailed out today. I don't think the grill will be much of an issue but since i have never attempted any body work like this before I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. My main concern I think is the fender, where the bolts are and what all needs to be taken off to remove the old and install the new. Thanks for any help you can provide!! :-? [addsig]

I am assuming that a Tj is similar to a Yj. To gain access to the blots that secure the fender to the body, you have to remove the black plastic that is under the pass. side floor boards just behind the fire wall. there should be 4-5 bilts that hold it on, then there are otherr securing points to the front near the radiator and on the outside of the fender well, the grill should be very straight foward, but you will have to pull the radiator out.[addsig]

A couple of things, that make it easier is to clean any exposed threads you can with a wire brush (brass) and use a spray oil (WD-40) on most everything before unbolting.
When assembling, don´t tighten down anything (just snug), until all the pieces are on and aligned. Protecting exposed corners with masking tape, and using cardboard spacers (tabs) between seams, saves some scratches.
A little dab of lithium grease on the bolts and screws before assembly, usually makes things alot easier to disassemble in the future.
Many times the body pieces don´t fit just right, the use of some shims or slight seam bending (rubber hammer) may be required.

edited by: MudderChuck, Mar 20, 2003 - 11:13 PM[addsig]

Back