Random Ticking sound Please help

brandt

06 Unlimited, 4.0L

I have been experiencing a random "ticking" from the engine. Tried many different things to induce the sound but no noticeable pattern. "Ticking comes and goes as it pleases, I have not noticed any drop in power or performance(feels strong). However occasionally on startup the ticking is noticeably louder then subsides. When I start the Jeep and the ticking is prevalent, the subsequent drive the noise is more frequent, however if it is not there on startup it comes and goes anyways. It is not loud and but will not go away either. I can not handle noises like this and if I do not get it fixed or know what is wrong with it I can pretty much kiss any sleep I might have goodbye as it will haunt me.:???:

Sounds like the 4.0l lifter rattle or a cracked exhaust manifold.

Exhaust leaks often dissapear depending on temp. And lifter noise is quite common on 4.0 l. The cam wears out with normal mileage and so do the lifters. Creating Small clearance issues(the tick) Today's oils don't contain enough zinc for flat tappet cams so they wear. Mines had a tick for 150,000 miles.

Brandt I have the samething going on with my 2005 4.0 jeep. I also would like to know what can be fixed.

Exhaust leaks often dissapear depending on temp. And lifter noise is quite common on 4.0 l. The cam wears out with normal mileage and so do the lifters. Creating Small clearance issues(the tick) Today's oils don't contain enough zinc for flat tappet cams so they wear. Mines had a tick for 150,000 miles.

Given that exhaust leaks can disappear dependent on temp, would an exhaust leak manifest it self at a certain temp and then disappear completely after reaching a certain temp and not come back intermittently throughout the ride(long or short). Not trying to be difficult just trying to understand. I will have to do more research into the oil not having enough zinc for my lifters/cam. Thanks for the input and ideas.

Exhaust leak is usually worse when cold and as everything heats up it seals off. I see alot of can and lifters worn I work for a dodge dealer and I've probably replaced 30 cams myself.

check spark plug wires for arcing,also I saw on TV last Sunday a new product that contains zinc for all of us with older vehicles and flat lifters.I think I saw it on extreme 4x4 or Trucks. I'm sorry I didnt get the manufacture or name of product.

Not trying to diagnose from a distance but a loose rocker over an exhaust valve has caused that in our race trucks the exhaust valves seem to do this more often due to less pressure on them. Just my .02$

A good way to see if it is a litter problem is to dump 1/2 a bottle of Lucas oil treatment into your oil. If it goes away you will know. The 4.0L has a known lifted issue, a long with weak exhaust valve springs.

Back