87 yj speedo cable replacement

elevatorman

Ok ,I am getting a noise that sounds like my speedo cable was about to break.The speedo was bouncing a little.So this past weekend I pulled the guage and checked the cable as I had what I thought was a replacement.Original cable is ok lubed and no unwanted twists or damage.
Cable spins freely in sheathe etc.. and how does it come apart from the guage?
Question is this , Is the speedometer gear located in the transfer case and does this sound like a common problem? I am ready to tear it apart and start looking.:???:

Speedo cable is held on to the speedo with plastic clips. I don't remember just how their made but they're molded to the speedometer and if your not careful you will break the clips off like i did.

Thats what Im afraid of. Does a speedo cable come with them and is it a one time install? guaranteed to break if you remove it?
I was wondering if the noise could be coming from the transfer case.
I am going to unscrew it from the case and drive it.
I am tired of driving the wife's Trans am( It has no ground clearance!)

The speedometer and cable are two different items. They will separate with care and a little foresight. Try to get a picture of it, or maybe someone that can explain it better than me will chime in.

google usually will find any picture you want.

Disconnected the speedo cable at the transfer case yesterday and the noise is still present. More noticable at low speeds and sounds as though something is slapping around. It appears I may have a problem in the transfer case.I guess I get to get dirty this weekend and not in a fun way!

Sounds like its time to replace the stretched transfer case chain as its likely slapping against the inside of the transfer case. New chain runs about 70 and is a pretty easy install.

Back