Modern axle swap for a cj

dgzdeep

Hello Everyone- I am a new proud owner of a 71' CJ5 in need of some serious TLC!! I just joined the forum and im super excited because so many of you are will to help clueless guys like me. And, im willing to do what it takes to bring it out of a backyard and parked proudly in my driveway! For starters, the rear d44 has been sitting with water and missing more teeth than a carny. I pulled the axle and what to upgrade to a newer axle already fitted with disc brakes. I've read in the forum that a 90's Rodeo of Honda Passport has d44's in the rear. Is there anything i need to alter to make in work in my cj5. P.S. i am building the jeep for my family and will be used on the highway 95% of the time, but would like 31" of rubber on it . Thanks to anyone willing to guide me in the right direction!

Welcome to the forum Gary. I don't personally know the answers to your questions, but there are plenty of smart guys here that can help.

Post some photos when you get a chance.

If I were you, I would just fix what you have for the rear, then I would find a waggy or chevy D44 front, cut it down to match the wideth of the rear.

I would also consider simply re-build the D30 front you have, I just can't recall when the cutt off is for open and closed knuckle axles. I think your should be open knuckle, if so, rebuild.

Your frame is pretty narrow so there are very few options that work without major modifications like outboarding the spring perched or narrowing heavier axles.

I also recommend rebuilding the stock components.

I'd just find a stock replacement axel with the same gear from a junkyard or Craigslist. Seems like alot of people are parting them out these days, with the economy down you could shop around and find a deal, cash talks.

Ok Here we go from a Guy who owned a 71 CJ5.
First off your rear dana 44 is a flanged dana 44 and offset this axle only works in Jeeps 41-71. In 72 Jeep went with a center Dana 44.
Clean up the 71 rear axle it is worth money!plus I you can not use a Rodeo
Scout or other rear axles.71 was the fist year of the flanged one piece rear axle shafts. But this is the only year you will find it.In 72 Dana went with the center diff and flanged Dana 44.

In 71 he has a Dana 27 drum brakes. He can swap in a narrow early Dana 30 with disc's.

Back