Ford 8.8

Thanks bounty hunter. These on either 2 or 4 wheel drive explorers? And where do i pic up the extra mounting hardware you mentioned?

Jfrabat you have better gears than i have though to run bigger tires correct? Cause i have 4.2 5 speed

Could you guys tell me if this is what I want for my 05 TJ (auto and 3.73 gears)

8.8 Ford Rear Axle

I ask mainly because it's a limited slip differential. I've read some posts about the LS being more difficult to install a locker in. Would a limited slip be a good stepping stone while I save some cash for a locker?

Last edited:
That's a good axle for you. The LS will need removed for installation of a locker, unless its a lunchbox locker designed to fit inside a LS carrier.

You will need a bracket kit installed.

Thanks Bounty.

Just so that I understand this right:

If I plan on getting an 8.8 and later installing an ARB, OX Locker, or Eaton E Locker, there's no need to worry about if the 8.8 has a limited slip or open differential because I'll be dumping the carrier (which contains the limited slip) and replacing it entirely with the locker.

Also, is a limited slip rear axle better or worse than an open diff when on the rocks (in case I end up waiting some time before buying / installing a locker)?

A limited slip is better than an open diff in most all situations, it will increase your chances of having both rear tires helping you move forward. It's not 100% lockup like the lockers you mentioned but it does send power to the tire with less traction, more so than an open diff. A limited slip works pretty well with up to 33" tires, anything larger and the increased leverage of the tire generally overcomes the benefits of the clutch pack inside the differential.

Yes, you will eventually be replacing the entire LS carrier with the lockers you mentioned, so it may not matter what carrier type your new axle has inside.

Be sure to have somebody weld the axletubes to the diff when you get the 8.8, I did my own with 55% nickel rods in my Arc welder, worked great.

This may be a dumb question but i don't know the answer. I can find a ford 8.8 for the rear easily, but I have never seen one for the front. Do they make them if not what do you guys use for the front?

Back