Ford 8.8

MattMayTJ

I Read somewhere that the ford 8.8 is a stronger axle than the Dana 44 is this true if so what is a reasonable amount to spend on one?

They are great the only downfall is the c clip design. I got mine for my Cherokee out of a level two ranger. Same width and bolt pattern for 200 bucks it had 4.10s and a Torsen diff from factory. I wheel with guys with 37s and they take every bit of abuse.

They're comparable in strength. The advantage to the 8.8 is the width and lug pattern being similar to what is in Jeeps already, along with common Jeep gear ratios.

Also when the axles were made by ford, they only ised 2-3 rosette welds to hold the tube into the housing, the tube only goes about 2.5" into the differential housing. under torqu loads the 8.8 has a tendency of the tubes spinning in the housing. simply getting some nickle rod and welding the tube solidly to the housing and/or a truss that ties the tube into the housing will cure this.

This looks like the best and most cost effective way to upgrade from every thing i have heard on here. My question is what is the TOTAL approx cost of doing this? Using salvage parts where possible and paying shop to do the work?

I wouldn't bother with the c-clip eliminator kit, not really an issue with the 8.8 axle.

There is nothing cheap about an axle swap. 8.8 is a decent axle but the pinion is a bit low, like a 9" and it hangs a bit low for a 33" or smaller tire.

There is nothing cheap about an axle swap. 8.8 is a decent axle but the pinion is a bit low, like a 9" and it hangs a bit low for a 33" or smaller tire.

This might be true, but with even a 33" tire, the D35 isnt going to hold up. So there arent to many other options.

no, your front is fine. just have ot make sure the gears match

I've put 8.8's in for as little as a couple brake parts and yoke/flange conversion, I've also done 8.8's that cost almost a grand. all depends on how you attack this. If you have the skills, you can plasma cut the old brackets off your D35, clean them up and use them on the 8.8 and then make and fabricate pretty much every part plus already have a matched gear set to the front (4.11 usually)

Well on a scale of 1-10 my mechanical skill level is a zero. So will have to pay someone to do it. But I'm pretty good at finding good deals on use parts lol. So what year range explorers have the ideal axle for a 89 yj? And what exactly else do i need to pick up for the job? Thanks guys

Im pretty sure u can find them in mustangs and rangers also but I'm not positive

True but the Mustang's are 4-lug and the Ranger's have drum brakes, so avoid both.

Look for a rear axle from a '95+ Explorer with a similar ratio as the front axle. Look for an L on the tag for the limited slip diff, such as 4L10.

YJ owners are in luck as they don't need all the expensive bracketry a TJ needs, simply spring perches, shock mounts, and a pinion flange adapter.

Back