Look what followed me home (Ford 8.8 axle)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
It just couldn't stand being under that Ford Explorer any longer, so this little 8.8 came home with me.

I picked it up for $175 - It's got 3.73 gears and has a limited slip. I've got 3.73s in my Wrangler now, and will probably end up running the limited slip for a while, until I can save up for a real locker. I'm pretty stoked to get this project started as it's the first serious upgrade that I've done - it's been all body lifts, longer coils and the like until now.

Is East Coast Gear Supply the best place to pickup the brackets? They're the cheapest I've found so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1052-jeep-axle.JPG
    IMG_1052-jeep-axle.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 5,397
  • IMG_1053-jeep-axle.JPG
    IMG_1053-jeep-axle.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,890
  • IMG_1054-jeep-axle.JPG
    IMG_1054-jeep-axle.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_1058-jeep-axle.JPG
    IMG_1058-jeep-axle.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_1060-jeep-axle.JPG
    IMG_1060-jeep-axle.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 564
Great find for a good price, congrats.

I just worked on a TJ yesterday with the ECG brackets on the 8.8 and it's a very nice kit, I recommend it.

Hey Bounty - do you think that I'll need a new driveshaft, or even a SYE for this swap? I've got 2.5" of lift with a motor mount lift.

I've been doing alot of reading, and some people say what I have will work, and others say that I'll need a CV / SYE setup.

you will need to address the flange yoke on the 8.8, and the kit you posted has the conversion flange included. Simply swapping axles will not neccesitate a SYE. the 8.8 diff is off centered slightly and the pinion is longer than the d35. You may have to shorten the driveshaft, but that really will all depend on what you currently have, and what's going in. best bet it to get the axle in and do some real world measuring. There are so many variations in jeeps from year to year and vehicle to vehicle you can't really just say this or that. I've pulled a rear shaft out of a jeep in the junk yard to put into a nearly identical jeep (same motor transmission axle) and the driveshaft was about 1.5" too long.

Personally, I would do the SYE for the sheer drivability of it. even with what you have described, 2.5" lift and1" motor mount lift, the smoothness in acceleration with the SYE is like night and day.

Thanks Johnny

I'd like a SYE & CV - I've priced some out, and it looks like I can get both from Rough Country for about $500. It's just a matter of spending more money.

From what I've read If I'm going to do a SYE then I should install it before I set the pinion angle on the new axle.

Yes, you will want to wait on setting the pinion angle if a sye was in the works. If you install the 8.8 now and the sye later you will need rear adj. UCA's in order to adjust pinion angle.

I wouldn't bother with a sye at 2.5" unless you wheel the Jeep often. If it were my jeep, I'd put the 8.8 in and run it.

I ran my jeep with the 8.8 and my 4" lift without the SYE for awhile till I could afford it. It had vibrations like crazy, but was still driveable.

I've been asking around, trying to find someone to weld the bracket kit onto my new Ford 8.8. A guy at my local club says that he'll do it, and already has a jig build to put the brackets at the stock TJ positions. He'll cut the axle brackets off, clean and Nickel TIG weld the tubes, then put on my bracket kit for $350.

What do you guys think of the price? I'd rather have a Jeeper that's done this before weld up my axle than a machine shop. I'm not really keen on mocking it up / setting pinion angles myself.

I've asked if he'll knock some off if I cut the brackets off and clean it before I bring it to him.

Up here welded charge 190 an hour so that's not bad. Good thing. My brother and two good friends are rigged up lol

I've made some real progress

When I started:

IMG_1066_ford8_8.JPG

Brackets cut off:

IMG_1166_ford8_8.JPG

ground off all the rust:

IMG_1172_ford8_8.JPG

Loaded up to go to the machine shop. I found a guy that would weld on the brackets for me for under $200.

IMG_1173_ford8_8.JPG

Hey guys - are 8.8 bolts the right grade to bolt my 1310 spicer adapter to the axle, or do I need something else?

Grade 8 will be lots. Just as long as they are torqued fine.

Back