speed/distance sensor

where is it? maybe its the sensor for the speedometer

its on the transfer case. my jeep was acting up so i took it to the shop. They claimed it was the e3 plugs and my coil. So they went ahead and did cap,rotor,plugs,wires,coil and fuel sytem flush for $740.00. i took it home the next day it was doing the same. so i took it back. they was just quessing i think and they threw a MAP sensor on there. a few days later it was acting up again. so i went out to the jeep got the codes(bad speed sensor code) for them and took it in. i handed the code list to the mechanic, he looked at me and said how did you get those? IM thinking holy chit??!! so i had them replace the speed sensor. So my reason for asking about the speed sensor is because they didnt seem to think it really did anything or it being bad would cause the jeep to do what its doing.and they tried to charge me for the third visit after paying 740$ the first time that did not fix it.that ****ed me off, so i called there corporate office and ended up getting all my money back and not owing them a dime. normally i would do all that work my self but i was thinking it was the fuel pump and i did not feel like laying in my driveway freezing dropping the tank. oh and what i mean by the jeep acting up, it would act like its running out off gas at any time, any speed, any were, but not all the time or everyday. i just never knew when it would happen. BUt after the speed/distance sensor change it seems back to normal. i will not be going back to that shop for anything.

The speed sensor is on the back of the transfer case and it can cause poor performance if it goes bad. It does send a signal to the ecu.

Would a speed sensor make the transmission shift funny? Like stay in first til 3000 rpm then shift..........then 2000rpm from 2nd to 3rd then 1700rpm from 3rd to drive.???????? Please help!!!!!!

Would a speed sensor make the transmission shift funny? Like stay in first til 3000 rpm then shift..........then 2000rpm from 2nd to 3rd then 1700rpm from 3rd to drive.???????? Please help!!!!!!

From my research since having this problem. i have read that it will do that with automatics. i dont know that for sure, my jeep threw me a code for the speed sensor, so i got it changed and its been fine since. what codes you got?

yes,the output speed sensor tells the transmission when to shift. it cost me $25.00 at the dealership, i changed it myself

update, me changing the speed sensor did not fix the problem. it went a way for a while then came back. i changed my o2 sensor and that seemed to do it, i have not had any power loss/bucking since changing the o2. i did not know a bad o2 would really have that kind of effect.

Back