HELP!!- TJ Won't turn over!!

bopper

Hey guys- My 1997 tj 4 cyl. died - It cranks but will not turn over- Here is what I know-I have spark-, If I put fuel in the throttle body it starts ,then dies- When I disconnect the fuel line and try to start fuel comes through the line - I hear the pump turn on and the relay click-I guess this means that the fuel pump is good-
If I have spark does this mean the crank and throttle position sensors are good???
Not sure what to try next- thanks so much for your help!!!!

Fuel injected? Right? Is there anything coming out of those? Maybe they are clogged..

Dont know if this will help, but last year I had a simular problem. It turned out that crank position sensor went out, not throwing a code on me.

thanks - the way I heard it is if I am getting spark it is no the sensor - is that true- it starts when I put fuel in the throttle- thanks

Check the fuel pressure at the rail.
Injectors may not be firing.

thanks- when I put a screwdriver to the injector and fire her up I can hear the injector clicking(firing) - so I guess the injectors work- still can not figure it out- have spark ,fuel comes thru line when cranking, injectors seem to work but just cranks?????

really need some ideas here guys- I pulled the fuel line at the fuel rail and cranked her over and gas comes out of the fuel line so no clog - when I put a scredriver by the injectors I can here them clicking when cranking- I have spark- SO??????? Is it possible that the fuel pump is not pumping strong enough????

Sounds like a weak fuel pump to me. You should check pressure to be sure. No point replacing a good pump. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck.

Ok changed fuel pump still won't start. If I put gas down the throttle she fires up then dies when I pull fuel line at fuel rail gas gushes out so I assume pressure is good. What next please help

My 97 tj did something similar. I changed alot of stuff and end up being a loose connection to the fuse panel underneath the hood. Fix that and fired up.

I checked fuel pressure it is at 49lb with entire new fuel pump assembly. Still cranks but only runs when I put fuel down the throttle. I have power to the injectors. What next ? Thanks!!!!!!

so, it runs when you pour gas in? but not under its own power? everything works but your fuel delivery system. pull the injector rail, but leave the lines hooked up and hten turn the engine over and watch for fuel spray form the injectors. if no spray, you know you got a problem with whatever is telling the injectors to squirt.

is your engine the kind of fuel injection that fires all the injectors at once or half at once? or does your only fire the cylinder that is coming up to the compression stroke? you might have the wires on wrong that tell the injectors to squirt fuel, they might be out of order.

they sell a thing called a noid light that you put on the injector and it tells you when its firing so you can see if the wiring is right, or someone should be able to tell you how theirs is wired

OK= pulled injectors squirt fine- still will not start just when gas in TB- I am being told that it would not be the crank sensor if it starts when gas is poured in the TB
thanks

= changed the crank sensor still nothing just cranks but runs with fuel in the TB- injectors are firing but I notice that the plugs are dry- even thought the injectors are squirting gas- what does that mean??

question- why would the injectors squirt gas but the plugs stay dry??- thanks

I know its an old thread but you mentioned your fuel pressure was 49? I have a 97 tj and my fuel pressure with new pump was 60psi, but even when I had low fuel pressure (under 30 psi) it would still fire up and run.

Back