axel swap questions

60 is stronger, depends what your building, the 8.8 is popular for more mild rigs I think, the 60 is over kill for most mild jeeps.

My rig is having an 8.8 swapped into it as I type this. The availability of the 8.8 and cost effectiveness made it the automatic choice for me. Not too mention that i can walk into my local salvage yard and see 31 spline shafts laying on the ground ready to take.

I'm doing an 8.8 swap currently. The 8.8 is easy to find and cheap, so you can get spares easily. It's about the same size as a Jeep axle, so you don't need to lengthen / cut down anything.

The availability of the 8.8 and cost effectiveness made it the automatic choice for me. Not too mention that i can walk into my local salvage yard and see 31 spline shafts laying on the ground ready to take.
Not quite, at resale, the 8.8 cost more than that of a rear 60, and the D60 rear was also manufactured in far greater numbers than the 8.8 ever was. The D60 rear has been uses in everything from passenger cars, light duty 1/4&1/2 ton trucks all teh way up to 3/4 and 1 ton vans and trucks.

The 8.8 was limited to a couple FOMOCO cars, light trucks (rangers andF150) and SUV's.

Strength wise the D60 wins hands down, but I wheel with people running well built 8.8's with light weight V8 buggies and 39" red label comp stickies.

The dana 60 is by far the stronger of the two, But overkill unless your going to be doing a lot of hard core wheeling. If your going this route then a dana 44 or 60 front would be a good match for the front.

I'm doing an 8.8 swap currently. The 8.8 is easy to find and cheap, so you can get spares easily. It's about the same size as a Jeep axle, so you don't need to lengthen / cut down anything.

Terry..you are having the 8.8 put in rear , what axle are you using in the front ?

does the Dana 44 or 60 need to be modified to fit ??

any axle not originally designed for that vehicle will need to be modified. whether it's as simple as just cutting and re-welding spring perches and shock mounts to full on custom link mounts.

Not knowing what jeep you have, a true answer can not be provided.

A Dana 44 front and 44 rear are good swaps. a Dana 60 hangs down low and will lose you ground clearence. So unless you are running 37's with a big motor try a dana 44.

Wouldn't trade my FF60 for anything, except maybe a built 14b. That being said it currently has a broke shaft but I drove it out with it and didn't damage anything. I have a 44 front and it was a huge mistake. Even with chromos I have snapped 5 shafts and killed one ring gear. I'm on 38s, run mostly rocks and have a real heavy right foot. 8.8 wasn't even a consideration when I was deciding on axles for my swap. I wouldn't replace a c-clip axle with another c-clip axle and it hangs too low for a half ton axle, pinion is low as well like a 9".

For 35" tires or less, the Ford 8.8" will be fine. Also for 97-up TJ's the bolt pattern is the same and if you get one from a later model Explorer it will have disc brakes.

I wouldn't replace a c-clip axle with another c-clip axle and it hangs too low for a half ton axle, pinion is low as well like a 9".

Marc, tech all rear axles are low pinion. I can not think of a single factory installed rear axle that is high pinion.

That said, I am in the same boat as you. I have D44's front and rear, run 36" tires, little heavy on the throttle, I find 2nd gear drops to get me up obsticals at times. I have been swapping in alloy shafts on warranty at least twice per year. I have a 14r60f for the YJ but I am allocating my limited fun-funds to linking the front and 1 ton rear swap of my Daily Driver 98 K1500.

I know all have a low pinion I was referring to how low the pinion sits on the 8.8 vs other rear axles. It hangs down a good inch lower than a D44.

Back