rear axle movement ?

MCluvsacj5

My rear tires are closer to the wheel well on one side than on the other.
Also there is a mark on the leaf spring possible indicating where the axle may have sat. see pics. Could the axle have shifted on one side ? The jeep tracks perfectly with no wandering. Is this an easy fix or do I need
professional help ? Is this common on cj's ? :???:

Attachments

• tires 001.jpg
    tires 001.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 320
  • tires 002.jpg
    tires 002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 350
  • tires 003.jpg
    tires 003.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 259

you might have sheared off the pin in the leaf springs. unbolt the ubolts and check it out

superj said:
you might have sheared off the pin in the leaf springs. unbolt the ubolts and check it out

Can i buy new pins & install them
Is this a hard job. Do i need to
Remove springs. Do i need new
Springs? Please advise. Thnx.

Yep, looks like a busted centerpin. It's basically a long bolt with a round head, most parts stores carry them. Put a c-clamp on the leaf pack near the axle, remove the ubolts, then lift the axle away from the spring. Replace the centerpin and cut off the excess length. Reassemble.

MCluvsacj5 said:
Can i buy new pins & install them
Is this a hard job. Do i need to
Remove springs. Do i need new
Springs? Please advise. Thnx.

Looking at chiltons manual it shows
A bolt and nut instead of a pin.
Does anyone know what size and
Grade of bolt i need so i can buy
Ahead of time as i dont want to do
The job twice. This is my only ride.

Center pins are real easy. here is my quick and painless SOP for replacing them.

support the jeep via the frame just in front of the fore spring prech.

Use a cut off wheel in a grinder and cut the old u-bolts off (careful, they store lots of energy and will "jump" when they are split, you won't get hurt but can startle you)

The spring pack will most likely fall apart at this point. I would start threading the pin through all the center holes. I like to use a large C-clamp to compress the springs with the pin in the center hole. I prefer not to compress 100% because sometimes the holes will not be completely lines up.

tighten down the pin best you can, then compress the springs the last bit and tighten down the center pin. there should be no spaces between the springs in the pack where the center pin is.

Use new U-bolts and put back together.

I've sheered lots of center pins, I personally prefer to use a grade 8 bolt with the same diameter, I like to round the head of the bolt with a grinder so that it fits in the perch then bolt it down that way. just a bit stronger, but not needed.

jps4jeep said:
Center pins are real easy. here is my quick and painless SOP for replacing them.

support the jeep via the frame just in front of the fore spring prech.

Use a cut off wheel in a grinder and cut the old u-bolts off (careful, they store lots of energy and will "jump" when they are split, you won't get hurt but can startle you)

The spring pack will most likely fall apart at this point. I would start threading the pin through all the center holes. I like to use a large C-clamp to compress the springs with the pin in the center hole. I prefer not to compress 100% because sometimes the holes will not be completely lines up.

tighten down the pin best you can, then compress the springs the last bit and tighten down the center pin. there should be no spaces between the springs in the pack where the center pin is.

Use new U-bolts and put back together.

I've sheered lots of center pins, I personally prefer to use a grade 8 bolt with the same diameter, I like to round the head of the bolt with a grinder so that it fits in the perch then bolt it down that way. just a bit stronger, but not needed.

Thanks for the info

Back