Roof basket for a YJ with hardtop

duckkillerclyde

I have an '87 YJ. I want to put a basket on the top. I am going to build my own basket because I can't find a used one in my area that is worth buying.

My question is this;

How do you attach it to the hardtop?

How do you attach it to the roll bar when you have the top off?

I am not to keen on buying the $200 mounting brackets. Any suggestions?

Guy I know bolt rails on the hardtop and then mount the basket to that. When they take it off they have another set of rails they made up for the rollbars. Rails just being steel square tubing and a channel on the basket secured with clevis pins. Guy has a bikini top only in the summer and just bolted right through it. Not sure what you would do if you had a full soft top that you didn't want to put holes through.

get some rails off a cherokee or an explorer and cut them down so they fit. when i pulled the ones off my old cherokee, i looked at putting them on the wife's 93 yj hardtop but i decided against it since her hardtop had no holes in it yet.

then i ended up getting a yj with a hardtop that someone had already drilled for a roof rack but i had gotten rid of the cherokee already

like two lengths of 1" steel square tubing just about the size of the basket bolted across the top from driver's side to passenger's in the front and rear of the top. Then 2 lengths of steel U channel the same size as the square tubing was bolted to the bottom of the basket that fits the 1" square tubing in it that is bolted to the hard top, then holes are drilled through both and pins inserted to hold everything in place. So the square tubing is sitting inside the u channel on the basket when its on top of the jeep.

He isn't around right now to snag a picture of it.

Back