horrible noise '87 YJ left rear

duckkillerclyde

when I turn a medium hard left, I will get a noise similar to what tires sound like when they hit the fenders. I know it is not the tires or the fenders because I have stock tires and the noise is definately coming from rear left. I sat outside the door and had my girlfriend drive it in a circle and can confirm the sound is coming from right rear.

Wheel is on tight. I already checked that.

It almost sounds like a spline is jumping. I can do burnouts and it will not make the noise. I can turn hard right and it will not make the noise.

Any ideas?

RIGHT SIDE MAKES NOISE *sorry about title of the thread

Last edited:

I've broke an axle in a kenworth truck before and the sound is similar but the noisy side is the side that will do the burnout.

*does not make noise when burning out, only when turning medium hard left.

Wheel bearing, or brakes coming apart inside drum.

It's not wheel bearing or rear end. there are no bolts in the transmission mount!!

I replaced both broken motor mounts and apparently that made all the slop go to the transmission instead of the engine. (this is why I didn't hear it when I test drove it.) I am hoping the threads aren't pulled out......but more than likely they are.........of course I didn't bother to look at this until I had already replaced both wheel bearings.

Back