'87 YJ over spring lift?

duckkillerclyde

'87 YJ

Is it possible to put springs on top of axles on an '87 YJ? Looks to me like a cheap way to lift about 3''.

The rear looks simple enough but what kind of problems do you run into on the front?

steering?
brake lines?
parking brake cable?
drive line angle?

*I've never lifted anything before and don't know a thing about it.

It's not cheap by any means, to do it right. It nets about 5.5" which is enough room to clear 35" tires.

If cheap and easy is what you're after, there's a couple 4" lift kits on the market for under $500, enough to clear 33" tires.

Rough country but you get what you pay for.
I've done plenty of SOA lifts and you need to redo the steering and most times make some kind of anti wrap bar for the rear to control axle wrap. At that height you start running into drive shaft angle problems as well so a SYE is in order. To do it right it'll cost just as much if not more than a SUA lift kit.

As mentioned above, you can run into some major issues with a SOA (spring over axle) lift, and I would not recommend it for your first lift. as said above you can get a nice SUA (spring under) kit that will allow you to run 33". If you can afford a couple hundred more, look at BDS suspensions. Their kits have a life time warrenty that is great. I bent one of their rear springs in a non off-road accident and they replaced it with no questions asked. I highly do not recomend you going spring over for your lift.

Back