Carb Swap Questions

absolutemoon

Alright folks, I feel as though I have graduated from oil changes to radiator swap to u-joint replacement. Its now time to put my "big boy" pants on and finally ditch my sh**ty carters carb. I am really tired of stalling when I go over a speed bump. I have a Motorcraft 2100 1.08 that I am going to attemp to swap. I got the correct spacer (2bbl - 2bbl) and gasket set yesterday so I think I am ready. This carb like so many others was purchased a WHILE ago on E-Bay from Mike Erdman. (I hear some good, I hear some bad). I have read a crap load of installation articles on this and there are a couple common thoughts. Go with a manual choke seems to be the choke of choice. My 2100 is set up with an electric choke. Can I use the electric choke setup or will I have problems? Does anyone have any knowledge of this? By the way, 81cj7 258 tf999 3sp automatic. Not a wheeler, a kid taxi. (daily driver)

Second, Once this swap is complete I will post pics for help getting rid of the spiderweb of vaccum hoses. There is more junk under the hood than really needs to be. (in my opinion) Thanks all, Bryan

The electric choke should be ok as long as it works right. If not, Try adjusting it and if its still not working right, convert it to manual. An electric choke is one of those things that are great as long as there working right but a pain in the a$$ when not.

The motorcraft 2100 is a great off-road carb. they were factory carbs on the 258 to it should not be too much trouble to swap. As stated above you can use the electric choke. People switch to manual chokes because as mentioned they can be a pain. They are not really that hard to set though. On the passenger side of the carb there should be a round black plastic cap held on by 3 screws, just loosen them and turn that cap clockwise or counter clockwise to open or close the choke more. The choke operates that butterfly flap on your carb. when the engine is cold and you start the jeep, that flap should be almost closed and as the jeep heats up the flap should open automaticly, if is does not, turn the cap so it does. I love the 258 engine, lots of torque but as you say they are plagued with all of the vac lines. switching to manual choke is simple,(quick discription) go to autozone or the likes and buy a manual choke cable, it should be on the shelf. drill a hole in your dash, mount the cable and hook it the the choke lever.. thats it. of couse take off the electric choke.. I just put one in my jeep a couple months ago, so when time comes I can post pics if you like.

Gronk on the Eaglenest has MC2100 and MC2150 swap kits

yes, he is a member here also, same screen name. i think these guys got theirs from him because he came and answered some questions for them in another thread..

i put a manual choke on mine when i put the 2100 on. the whole kit is sold on the self help wall at the autoparts store and costs like 12 or 14 bucks. it was very easy to do

Haaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaa oh that's to funny!

Back