MPG '87 YJ stock tire stock height

duckkillerclyde

I have an '87 YJ stock tires and stock height. I put a motorcraft carb on her because it would not idle worth darn with the throttle body and all of that emission garbage on it.

I finally burned one tank of fuel in it. I got 11.5 MPG. :cry: I really expected better. I had my foot into the entire time so I guess it is not too bad. I also have the auto transmission but I also adjusted the shift linkage so I am shifting at 1800 RPM.

What kind of MPG are you guys getting darting around town in a 4.2?

I just ordered a motorcraft from mike on eBay. Running a Holley 2 bbl. right now. Mpg. Sucks literally. It's in a 76 cj with a six inch lift and 33s so I guess it's to be expected. I'd say 10 mpg. Did you get a chance to go Offroad with the motorcraft yet? Just wondering how's it work in off camber situations and steep inclines.

I think you missed the part where I'm all stock and a rookie at jeeps. Haven't really been what 'real' jeep guys would call "off road", but when I play around on 3/4- piles in the yard I have to stay into the throttle or it will die.

Pretty much. I got the same motor and soon to be same carb. So I just was wondering how it worked in the ruff stuff. Thanks

filled up today and I got 19.16 MPG driving like an old person but still did a little playing in the snow. went up and down some hills too. like 20 miles of up hill and a gain of 2000 feet.

You sure? That's amazing gas mileage for a carb'd 4.2

cool. if you are getting that, let me know what your timing and idle are and what point your trans shifts at so i can try and get the same results

cool. if you are getting that, let me know what your timing and idle are and what point your trans shifts at so i can try and get the same results

I have auto transmission.

Idle speed after choke is off is ~800
Timing I checked the other day +9 degrees
Shifting at 1800 RPM

almost identical to mine. mine is idling at 750, timing is 10, i just set it this morning, and shifting at 1500 on granny driving and 1800 on normal driving.

i just flipped the advance plate on my distributor though so i am hoping to see better mileage. instead of it being in the 13r slot, i am now in the 18r slot. it made a huge difference in off line acceleration so i am hoping it will help the mileage too.

i have an 89 yj has carb update and ignition bypass.
i get rather decent meilage but i had to install a manual choke n choke has to be on or it'll stall at idle.timing is 10deg.idle screw is at max..any suggestions..?

carnutt said:
i have an 89 yj has carb update and ignition bypass.
i get rather decent meilage but i had to install a manual choke n choke has to be on or it'll stall at idle.timing is 10deg.idle screw is at max..any suggestions..?

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me

Of you have the idle screw all the way open and it dies with out the choke pulled a little, you have a pretty big vacuum leak. Check all your nuts and bolts on the carb and intake and check all your vacuum lines.

Back