Exogate spare tire carrier

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone here own, or have you seen the Exogate spare tire carrier from Gr8tops? It looks like exactly what I want - a low profile tire carrier that looks stock, but can hold my 33" spare.

I've only heard good things about it, and will probably be picking one up.

TJ/LJ Exogate™ Tailgate Kit

DSC_2611.JPG.800.jpg

tophinge1-sf.jpg

lowerhing-sf.jpg

kitcomplete-sf.jpg

DSC_2618.JPG.800.jpg

Last edited:

Dont know about the exocage, but I have had my 33" BFG MT KM2 on my tailgate for a bit over 3 years without issues. All you need to do is to extend the bumpstops on your tailgate to keep the tire from bobbing around and you can carry your 33 on your stock carrier. A lot cheaper. Also, keep in mind the TJ hinges are a bit stronger than the YJ, so you should be even better than I am (and I not only constantly wheel my rig, but I also drive in Costa Rica, so not the smooth highways you are used to!).

That mounts to the existing tire carrier mounts as well as through the body in the corner? Looks good to me. I like the stock carrier look too. Cheaper than buying a bumper with a carrier too.

Here's a shot of the extensions (taken in 8/16/2009, by the way, which is more or less when the tire went on back there):

DSC001681-1.jpg

I did need an extension, though, so that it would clear the rear bumper (also in the shot).

I have been wanting to come up with a spare tire carrier for my YJ but I wanted to beef up the tailgate hinges. My problem was that I removed my carrier and third brake lite because I didn't like to looks of it. I wanted to make some hinges out of billet and use actual stainless steel ball bearings rather than bushings. If I use sealed bearings, it will be maintenance free. No greasing involved. I still can't figure why will anyone use brass bushings when the price of the bearings will be the same as ball bearings...... I will have to look into this because my daughter's TJ has 37" Swampers on it and she has been driving with out a spare because she can't see in the back. I need to come up with a rig that will also lower the tire several inches. I might have to stick the tire backwards to clear the bumper so I can lower it. Stay tuned because when I am done with all the windshield brackets, the spare tire carrier will be my next project.

Dont know about the exocage, but I have had my 33" BFG MT KM2 on my tailgate for a bit over 3 years without issues.

jfrabat,
I've got the same spare, and have extended the bumpstops as well. It's been on there a year, and it seems to be holding up well, but I can still hear it rattle when I hit bumps on the interstate. There is a small amount of play in it as well. It would probably be fine for a couple more years, but I think that this may be a better solution.

I've made it a bit worse by adding a teraflex tire spacer that pushes the tire farther away from the body, making the rattle even worse.

With the tailgate slightly open you can see the weight of the tire twisting the tailgate in this photo.

8931d1308166822t-extended-wrangler-spare-tire-bump-stops-06-extended-jeep-spare-bump-stop.jpg

I've read that it also comes with a roll bar tie-in. This mounts inside of the Jeep and connects the upper hinge to the roll bar

RB-bracket2a.jpg

RB-bracket1a.jpg

Terry,
The rattle is because everyone is using bushings and bushings require clearance. That is the reason I am considering making some using ball bearing and heavier hinges out of billet. the more the wheel gets moved backwards and the more the settle will be. I think that I can come up with something that could take care of that issue. what Jeep do you have? is it a CJ, YJ or a TJ. I am getting home Saturday and I will look into this ASAP. I was planning on changing the hinges with something new anyways...... I will like to also come up with some type of cam stop so the tailgate can be opened but not having to worry about tire bumper or stop. I f I can come up with a good design and also really clean looking I will let you know. If not in a hurry, please give me few weeks to design something.
Big wave to you all

Back