Oh, crap :-/

take the drive shaft off and drive in 2x4 till you get a t-case. pull one from a cherokee in the junkyard

prariepunk said:
On my way to work this morning, my front driveshaft started shaking... I know I needed to do u-joints... But then it popped :-O now there is NO resistance in the t-case :'( NO 4wd... Did I grenade my t-case?

Could just be that you lost the connector between the t-case gears and lever. Was it in 4wd when this happened? If so, get a buddy to watch the front shaft and see if it moves( if your lifted high enough). if it doesn't move then you may be f-ed, you'll have to pull it out to look at it. If it moves then more than likely you lost some sort of connector, in which case you'll have to take it apart anyway.
I'm no pro but this is the best I could think of, hope it helps!

on the TJ the front axle acts in the same way the rear axle does, the spider gears and carrier / ring and pinion are always turning when the tires are turning, so the front shaft is always turning, what allows the shift on the fly 4wd and the reason you have to be rolling at a very slow speed to shift to 4L is the output shaft in the t-case for the front shaft is not engaged until 4H is selected, that slides the drive gear along the output shaft and engages power to the front shaft. (This is how I understand it after having all the components apart for various reasons, doesnt mean I have it totaly right lol). for the record, if the t-case housing isnt damaged, its an extremely simple thing to rebuild and as long as you are in the least organised when you dissasemble it you need no real experiance, in fact, get a slip yoke eliminator and 90% of the parts you need are included in that and its an upgrade you will want to do at some point anyway. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Oh crap..... I hate it when thar happens. Good luck to you. It illoks like you are going to be busy for a while. I don't envy you!

Zach - is your Jeep an automatic or a manual? I wonder if the park sensor was damaged, or the linkage screwed up. I believe that if the Jeep doesn't know it's in park then it won't start.

It'll turn over but not start... I looked once I got out of work & I ripped my fuel line off the frame rail... The transfer case is done, ka-put, toast... I'll post more pics of the carnage later... Which models of the np231 will work for my 2005 TJ X w/auto trans & 4.0L? The guy at Davey's Jeep quoted me $150-$350...

have to google the t-cases but i know any of them will work on the older wranglers but you have to redrill the holes that bolt it to the trans because hte engine leans a little more in a cherokee (i guess is why). but the t-case is usually the same as long as the input splines and the output to the front are splined the same.

prariepunk said:
It'll turn over but not start... I looked once I got out of work & I ripped my fuel line off the frame rail... The transfer case is done, ka-put, toast... I'll post more pics of the carnage later... Which models of the np231 will work for my 2005 TJ X w/auto trans & 4.0L? The guy at Davey's Jeep quoted me $150-$350...

At least the price isn't too bad. It could be worse

I'd replace it with the same thing. This is the badge on my 231 transfer case off of my 2005 auto.

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120306_172218.png
    ForumRunner_20120306_172218.png
    669.5 KB · Views: 250

i think all of them after 93 or 94 are 231j trans cases. but new venture and new process are the same company, they just had a name change because their parent company got bought out in the 90s so some say nv231 and some say np231.

i put a 91 wrangler trans case into my 93 grand cherokee because my grand had that full time 4x4 and i didn't want it anymore. i had to change the output gear to the front axle because of the spline count being different and buy an adapter to fit my different style front axle but it was 100 for the t-case and 20 for the adapter for the drive shaft and took about a half a day or so to remove, open and swap gears, and then close up and reinstall.

I still dont understand the whole engaged or disengaged discussion. On a yj there arent any lockout hubs so that means the driveshaft has to turn unless there is a "pinion" disconnect. The actuator fork mentioned before simply disconnects the passengerside axle from itself for easier steering and easier 4wd engagement(in my opinion). What I mean by disconnects the axle from itself is if you look at a diagram of the yj model 30 starting from the driverside you have the driverside outer axle, driver side inner axle, differential, passenger side inner axle, and passengerside outer axle. On a yj the passengerside inner axle is a two piece, not a one piece axle and the actuator fork connects the two pieces together for 4wd use. When its disconnected the driverside wheel is still going to be turning, along with the driverside axle which is still going to be turning the differential(with spider gears it may not turn as much), which is going to turn the driveshaft.

all i know about it is that you can put some tape on the driveshaft and drive down the road and hte tape won;t be torn.

i think it doesn;t turn because its an open differential and it sends power to the wheel with the least amount resistance so the disconnected half axle in the passenger side will just turn and turn when you pull the t-case lever if the vacuum actuator is not locking that coupler. but when in 2wd, i have no idea why it doesn;t turn the shaft back from the wheel up to the t-case. i just know it doesn;t turn it because the wife's old 93 sahara had a slightly bent front driveshaft and if you had it in 4x4 and drove more then 15 or 18mph, it would vibrate like crazy and shake the jeep horribly. but when you were in 2wd it didn;t shake a bit because the shaft wasn;t turning

No matter if one shaft is disconnected or not, if one wheel is turning the driveshaft must turn, it has no choice.

When I went to load it onto the flatbed trailer using my winch... (thank you Muprhy) There was no sound or movement from the winch at all :cry: so now there's a Warn XD9000i that has issues on top of everything else... I used it right before witnter & it worked fine... it's a bad year for me already & it's only March

Back