Amc 360 oil problem?

sweetpeet

So I recently heard that the amc 360 has problems with the oil pick up or something. Has anyone experienced this or knows what I'm talking about? What did you do or what can I do to fix this problem? If it even exists lol

here a pic find on internet
image-missing.png

the problem seems to be getting oil to the back of the engine. All AMC v-8's. I learned of this about 10 yrs ago when my 304 developed a tick on the rear passenger side of engine. The cure was too late for me.

yes, it pumps oil to the back of the engine. I havent done it but did read about it after it happend to me. LOL,, I don't know the names of it, but I think they connect that copper tube to one of the hole in the front of the engine that the oil comes through and route it to one of the ones in the back of the engine. They say it is very simple to do. I searched it, this may help more. For the oiling mod, you can spend the $25-45 and get a ready-made kit. You simply drill a hole in the back of the front oil block in the intake valley, and another hole between the #6 and #8 cylinders, so that pressurized oil is shot down onto the rear bearings. This basically increases volume to the rear bearings, should you have a worn bearing elsewhere, it keeps the same amount flowing to the rear.

HPIM1257Large-1.jpg

bypass-1.jpg

Last edited:

I'd read about it on an AMC forum I think it was. Mine had a tic when I got it but it was the timing chain. I plan to do this if I ever tear mine down or am deep into anthor one. I don't think I'll take mine appart just to do it though. I rebuilt my oil pump and have a respectable amount of pressure now so I'm not that concerned about it. Anthor thing, I don't rev mine real high. I think high RPM's and low oil press is where it will hurt the engine (spin the bearing). I pulled my oil pan and cleaned the gunk out, checked the pickup and screen. Did an oil pump rebuild, and run a bottle of Lucas in it every oil change. If you don't think the Lucas would help, just buy a bottle, open it up and get a little on you hands. It don't wipe of like oil does. I soaked my new timing chain in it for a week before I put it in. Anyway, you make the call. If your in mud holes turnning lots of RPM's you may want to go ahead and do it. If you do do it, take pic's and do a thread about it.

I think it's all of them, there isn't much difference in all the engines in that group. 290,304,360,390 and 401. At a glance it's hard to tell one block from anthor, it's mostly bore and stoke changes that make up the differences. I think the 390 and 401 blocks are like .160 taller than the others. I'm not well schooled on all this, please correct me if I've made a mistake. I left out the 343, I can't remember if it belongs in that series or not. The most major difference I can think of is that 390's and 401's have factory steel crank and rods where all the rest are cast.

The AMC V8 block has the displacement cast into the side of the block just under the motor mount. Otherwise at a glance you can’t tell the difference between the AMC 304, 360, 390, and 401 when lined up in a row.

what is the deal with that 340? will that bolt into our older amc jeeps? there is a dude selling a ton of amc stuff and in his pile, he has a 340 listed with the bigger displacement motors. i am not really looking for a large displacement v8 so the 340 might be good, if it fits

what is the deal with that 340? will that bolt into our older amc jeeps? there is a dude selling a ton of amc stuff and in his pile, he has a 340 listed with the bigger displacement motors. i am not really looking for a large displacement v8 so the 340 might be good, if it fits

Most likely it is an 343 not a 340. The motor is 1967-1969 vintage and is fairly high compression, 10:1 or so and I think it was rated close to 300 HP with a 4 barrel. I don’t know about the bellhousing bolt pattern but may be different from the AMC pattern we all know and love. It sounds like an AMC 360 might fit your bill; there are plentiful, cheap, well supported by the aftermarket, and as direct bolt in as you are going to get.

Last edited:
I dont even know who makes the 343, but if its GM then im pretty sure the AMC 4cyl bellhousing is the GM bolt pattern.

The 360 bolts to the ol tf999 since its the same as a tf727 so you're right, about as drop in as possible

I dont even know who makes the 343, but if its GM then im pretty sure the AMC 4cyl bellhousing is the GM bolt pattern.
AMC offered in from 67-69, it was a Gen 2 short deck block. It's from a different series than the ones mentioned above as they're Gen 3 blocks.

AMC offered in from 67-69, it was a Gen 2 short deck block. It's from a different series than the ones mentioned above as they're Gen 3 blocks.

The 343 block was the forerunner of the 360 as the 290 became the 304 and 390 became the 401. These blocks are not related to the 327 which when introduced actually had more HP than the Chevy V8 of its day.

The amc 327 came in the mid to upper 200hp range, the lower hp chevy327's were in that range but, most of the chev 327 were 300 and up. the vett's in 65 got a 375hp fuel injected 327, they offered a 365 version that was carburated. I have one of the 65 300hp versions, now at 350hp. Interesting though, I had not heard of the 343. Thanks for the info.

The amc 327 came in the mid to upper 200hp range, the lower hp chevy327's were in that range but, most of the chev 327 were 300 and up. the vett's in 65 got a 375hp fuel injected 327, they offered a 365 version that was carburated. I have one of the 65 300hp versions, now at 350hp. Interesting though, I had not heard of the 343. Thanks for the info.
Ya know, that engine would be real nice in my old '70 Chevy truck. You ought to let me help you clean your garage out and make ya some room.:)

LOL..I was real excited to get it, not so excited now after seeing how much gas it drinks. It would cost me a fortune to go riding all day.. lol
My next project with it is gas mileage.

LOL..I was real excited to get it, not so excited now after seeing how much gas it drinks. It would cost me a fortune to go riding all day.. lol
My next project with it is gas mileage.
I can definitely understand that, that's where I'm at with my daily driver CJ5, I'm getting 15MPG. I think headers and electric fan will kick it up a notch. My old Chevy truck was bought new by my uncle in '70. I played in it growing up, bought it in '92 with 52,000 miles on it. It still has the original 6cyl in it. It's got 140,000 on it now, still runs but it's getting worn. I've missed out on a few choice engines to replace the 6. One was a low mileage 409, 409HP. I'm still upset over that, and a couple more. The right one will fall into place before long. I do have a love for the short stroke small blocks like the 327 and 283. Who knows though, it may get a 396 or 427. I wouldn't turn one down.Lol;)

Back