Personal opinion???

Brian Z

or urwritten jeepster law? I have a 94 YJ, and my question is this. As you know my headlights are square. when you add the extra lighting ( off road) or driving lights, should you do round or square? I was going to do the square on the front bumper and push bar. then round on the sides of the wind shield, but what about the lightbar above the windshield? round or square? does it matter? personal opinion?
I dont want it to look rediculous. I want it to look good. whatta ya think fellow jeepers
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

to me, your car needs to be YOU. Whatever you think it will look good, you should do it that way. I purchased a police type spot light and I was happy that it had a square light and I also have a 94YJ with square lights. Three years later I haven't installed it because I am not sure if it is what I want to do now..... Most people tell me to install it but I am having trouble deciding. Again, it will be what you want and think is cool. What a 57 years old guy in Florida (that's me) thinks is cool might not be what a younger person (hopefully you) let's say in California will think is cool also. Good luck with your decision and I am sure you will happy with it.

My YJ doesn't have any extra lights but my XJ does, square head lights as well, and I have round fog and driving lights. I don't care for the look of square fogs and round ones are usually cheaper too. That and I don't have to worry about them being mounted perfectly level cause I have a bit of OCD.

LOL.....Thank God I am NOT the only one always looking at his lights to make sure they are level......LOL. I bought that it was the machinist in me. I can sleep well now.

LOL.....Thank God I am NOT the only one always looking at his lights to make sure they are level......LOL. I bought that it was the machinist in me. I can sleep well now.
yeah, us machinest are a diffrent type of cat compared to say maintenance personal. I didnt relize it till I decided to go into the maintenance field. It sounds strange, but there is a diffrence in attitude and people between the two trades. Didnt believe it till I experienced it.

As a fellow machinist, I have observed that we make terrible wood workers and other honey do list things. We have been trained to follow a blue print to the letter, sizes and tolerances. Now you add "oh if its with in a 1/16 (.06250 I don't know what a 1/16th is) its ok" not! And if the engineer fails to note parallel call outs, finish, chamfer sizes we go into a tail spin. So adding pieces to our jeeps and the "loose tolerances" of some parts or pieces...dont want to talk about it. Now not to mention that my jeep sits +.025 to the drivers side....

Mine is tilted about .0225 on the left side.....LOL actually as a machinist and a tool and die maker, I have learned a phrase that now has been passed onto my kids. It is "it looks like crap" because nothing looks good enough to us. It either has sharp edges, not straight enough, bad finish..... You name it. That is why I started making my custom parts for my Jeep. We make one off parts for some very expensive cars and I decided that I wanted to make some for me. About time.....

i have round lights on the bumper but they suck. when you stand in front of hte jeep and look down to see if htey are tilted the same, one is always a little different then the other. no matter what you do, they are never the same. stupid wal mart lights

Get the brightest, most obnoxious ones you can find, then aim them right at rear window hight of the car in front of you when driving down the highway. This seems to be the cool thing to do in SoCal. Oh, and make sure you get lots of lights, so you can aim them at different hights for the taller or shorter rigs on the road.

I needed a good laugh tonight guys! thanks for that! And yes I'm o.c.d. It sucks, everything has to be just so. And as for how many lights, I was on the fire dept for 12 years, so lights, OH YEAH! Ive been thinking, about what to do and Walmart is NOT in the picture. So I think I know whats gonna be cool for me! Thanks all!
p.s. I'm in Northern Ohio. went to so-cal, not impressed..

Last edited:
Back