My sound system

Mxpx182lit

My dad and I recently installed a new Alpine deck, Sony Xplode speakers, and a Rockford Fosgate Punch amp and woofer in my 99 wrangler. It worked fine for about two months and then It started acting up. When I hit a bump or pothole driving it now sometimes the speakers will stop working for about 15 seconds. Today I hit a pothole in a parking lot and my woofer went out completly and did not come back on during the 15 min. drive home. Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin[addsig]

have you checked all of the wiring? may God bless you that it is not something inside the amp or the sub itself. I've often found my coil lead wire to be broken off or burnt... it can be fixed with a replacement. Sony Xplodes have a tendency around here to go bad quickly... the Rockford should live longer than we should, they are bulletproof, but... it CAN fail. take a look at all of your wiring and then the fuses... if you have tube style fuses, they can sometimes burn... but allow an arc to cross, if this is it... hitting bumps can sometimes allow or prevent passage[addsig]

Sounds like you got a loose connection some where or if you are using stranded wire make sure there are no loose strands hitting anything.[addsig]

yea def. a loose connection, get some tape and tape everything off too, that way the wires cant touch, oh and sell any explod stuff you've got, that'll help too :-D sorry im an infinity snob[addsig]

I had a similiar problem in my truck. I found that from all the banging around from being off-road that the power wire to my amp came loose and was touching the engine. The heat from the engine melted the wire which not only shut off the stereo but was sending power through my frame and shorting out my spark plugs causing the truck to jump and stall (almost like running out of gas) every time the wire touched the engine.[addsig]

I tihnk i'm having a similar problem with that "jump and stall" thing... i'm trying to see if i have a wire problem... my stereo sound has gone down.. and i've noticed my volt meter a little lower than usual... i hope its an easy catch[addsig]

I agree with everyone here and that you should check your wiring to make sure you do'nt have a short anywhere. For my car I got the black plastic tubing from pepboys to put around my wires, and it keeps everything looking neat and clean. You may also want to check to make sure you didn't run your power cable next to your speaker wire ( I usually run one on the left of the car and one on the right). If you run them next to each other, you'll hear a little fuzz coming out of the speakers. I'm not sure if you are running your speakers off the amp or the head unit, but i'd suggest you get a compacitor (bad speller), that way it wont drain all the power from your battery, so that way you have continuous power going to the amp and speakers. If you have your speakers running off your amp (which is what i did for that extra power goign to them), and you don't have enough power going to it, it may break out until the amp gets more from teh battery. When your stereo is loud, do your headlights go dimmer or do you hear you alternator kick in a little more? If so, you may need to purchase one; I had to for my RF 600.4.[addsig]

Back