Leaky diffs

87yj350

So I started my project. An 87 yj I have had for some time that has been sitting outside for over 4 years. I started with some fluid changes. The front diff went great. Replaced the gasket with a lube locker. The rear, not so much. The last time it was changed someone must have used RTV vs. a gasket. Thought I got it all off. Put the lube locker on and tightened down the cover. Once I put the fluid in it immediately started leaking from the bolts at 7 and 9 o'clock. I pulled off the cover and figured I would clean it up really good and try again. The lube locker gasket claims to be reusable and looked in good shape when I pulled it off so I'll give it another shot. Any thoughts? Think I should place some RTV on the gasket or maybe just skip the lube locker and go with RTV alone as it seemed to not be leaking before.

I've only changed diff fluid a handful of times, but I've always used RTV alone and it's worked well.

It sounds like you missed some of the original RTV. Just take it apart and clean everything well - I use brake cleaner once I think it's totally clean.

I change my gear oil every two rides due to the mud, which I hate, and creeks in the areas I ride and I only use RTV, no gasket.

Lube Locker gaskets are awesome, as long as everything is clean, after you scrape it down, clean it with a can of carb cleaner and a rag. then let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it down again, the carb cleaner will loosen the rtv silicone. and when you re install torque evenly. one other thing you can check is to make sure that your vent hose isnt plugged, my rear cover was seeping and found it to be the vent hose plugged with mud and grime.

If you do one or the other, I would use RTV as well. I have used it many times by itself. I wouldnt tighten the bolt super tight though, you'll squeeze it all out. Snug em up good.

Back