77 cj7 help

Tnrebel

I just bought a new project cj7. It was running but stopped. It turns over but won't crank. The PO has done some interesting things with the wiring. I am including a picture and hoping for some ideas. There is a coil on top of the valve cover that is wired up. There is also one on the left side that isn't. This is my 1st 258 but I am sure the one on top is an add on. I plan to rewire everything, but i would like to know which coil is the right one. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• SC20120325-210615.jpg
    SC20120325-210615.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 543

Looks like he might have done a TFI ignition upgrade. Do some research on the net. Might be something you would want to keep. Could be dressed up tho looks like a hack job.

is your distributor a motorcraft/jeep one or has it been swapped for something else?

The distributor in the photo looks to be an original points type with a later model coil wired in.

I have the same year and model. The origional is the one mounted on the side of the block. Looks to me the PO used what he had laying around rather than than bying a OE part.

Also looks like you have the single YF carb. had major issues flooding on inclines and after rebuilding mine 6 times I finally through it in the garbage. My want to look at a after market carb setup.

DOUBLEC said:
I have the same year and model. The origional is the one mounted on the side of the block. Looks to me the PO used what he had laying around rather than than bying a OE part.

Also looks like you have the single YF carb. had major issues flooding on inclines and after rebuilding mine 6 times I finally through it in the garbage. My want to look at a after market carb setup.

I agree, I have a 76". I swapped the 1 barrel intake for a 2 barrel off a 83" 258. Threw on a mc 2100 and a HEI distributor and never looked back. What a difference!

I just bought a new project cj7. It was running but stopped. It turns over but won't crank. The PO has done some interesting things with the wiring. I am including a picture and hoping for some ideas. There is a coil on top of the valve cover that is wired up. There is also one on the left side that isn't. This is my 1st 258 but I am sure the one on top is an add on. I plan to rewire everything, but i would like to know which coil is the right one. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I had a carburator problem with my 74' 258. check that first. had to rebuild the whole thing. Check and makes sure fuel is correctly getting to the engine.

Back