transmission swap

paddywagon

Im pretty sure my transmission is on its last legs. Havent really had the chance to dive into it, just an educated guess at this point in time. My question is if I want ot upgrade to the ax15 what will be needed? will the bell housing and the transfer case match up or will they need to be changed.

Bell housing, external clutch slave, throwout bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing that kinda stuff. You might be able to keep the whole internal throwout bearing slave thingy in there but really why?

Pressure and clutch plate can be reused, but might as well get a new one when you take it all down.

Your 231 should bolt up to it after you change the input gear. AX5 has 21 spline, AX15 has a 23.

Lots of stuff but its not all that bad, should be easy and bolt up for the most part. Not sure about the transmission mount, transfer case shift handle or driveshafts have to be monkeyed with.

I just bought an AX15 used, that was mated to an NP231. What LGR was telling you is correct. The AX15 will bolt to your bell housing, but in order to use the internal slave/throwout bearing(from your old trans) you will need to change your nose cone on the front of the transmission. And you need to change out the input gear in the NP231 as LGR stated. The skid plate is the same for both so you are in luck there.

The ax15 will not bolt to your engine or bellhousing. It's possible if you can find a Dodge Dakota 2.5L 5spd bellhousing.

Back