Dependability of the 4.2

nutznky

I found an 89 wrangler I'm thinking of buying. It's in exceptional shape and has several upgrades already done, lift, tires, wheels, body armor, winch and so on. The engine is a stock 4.2 with a 5 speed. It currently has 155,000 on it. My question is how reliable is the 4.2 and is there anything specific I should look for on this model? Frame and floors are also excellent condition. For $4000 I don't really see where I could go wrong but I don't know anything about the 4.2 either. Thanks in advance.

4.2 is great engine just like the 4.0. Not as much horse power but makes up for the torque. Both are solid engines and share most of the same parts. You can put a 4.0 head on the 4.2 and make it even better.

Biggest problem with them is the stock carb that sits on top. Dump it for something new or do a TBI. Being an 89, It might have one of the worst transmissions behind it, the BA10.

4K seems like a bit much for it unless its got boat loads of extras that are worth it to you.

I'd mainly worry about the transmission being a BA10. Not saying it will fail they are just known to die easy. The 2 barrel carb is a cheap easy swap for something more reliable.

I agree. My 76 has the original 4.2. Granted its rebuilt, but 36 years of use and abuse and still going strong. They have seven main bearings, making for one tough little motor

I have an '87 with the 4.2L in it. i think its a very dependable motor. And as LGR stated the stock carb is junk, i put an edelbrock 2BBL on mine and its flawless. The 5spd is (unless it has been changed) the Peugot BA10, and mine finally went at 185000+ on the odometer. If you wheel hard, the BA10 wont last a week. synchronizers will fail with a lot of torque applied to them. And the 4.2L produces tons of torque.

Mr recently restored stock 87 is great.I can roll down the highway at 65-70 and pull off road and play all day long. I have rebuilt the original carter carb and replaced the 30 miles of vaccum lines that were on it.I will be lifting it soon and adding 31x10.5,Howell EFI, It only has 103,000 miles on it and is solid.

Attachments

• jeep paint 017.jpg
    jeep paint 017.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 187
man, those are some shackles on that good looking laredo. mine is an 87 also and runs great. jeeps got 110k on it and i am not sure on the engine but i know its less. the engine has the stroker on it from mixing a 4.0 and 4.2 with the original 4.2 head. strong runner, thats for sure. (now that the weber 34 is off it and its got another carb)

Back