Steering box ratio

flatie46

Were there different steering box ratios offered in the 76-83 models? Did they offer a ps box that wasn't so sensitive? It's kinda like my Jeep has the effortless power steering of a Olds Delta 88, I'd like it to have more road feel like a Z-28.

Im not sure, but a popular swap is to use the steering box off of a f-body car from the 70/80,s (camaros, t/a,s, firebirds,ect.). This box is stamped with a 76 underneath it (dubbed, the 76 box). The swap is usually done for tighter steering, someone may have put one on your jeep, it is very common. The 76 stamp should be between where the pitman arm shaft comes out of the box and the end cap of the box and have 4 mounting holes.
If you don't have a steering stabilizer, that can help some in giving the jeep more of a steady feel and not so sensitive.

Im not sure, but a popular swap is to use the steering box off of a f-body car from the 70/80,s (camaros, t/a,s, firebirds,ect.). This box is stamped with a 76 underneath it (dubbed, the 76 box). The swap is usually done for tighter steering, someone may have put one on your jeep, it is very common. The 76 stamp should be between where the pitman arm shaft comes out of the box and the end cap of the box and have 4 mounting holes.
If you don't have a steering stabilizer, that can help some in giving the jeep more of a steady feel and not so sensitive.
K, I'll check it and see if it'd been changed. I've driven my fair share of camro's and firebirds (I used to work on a car lot) they had more road feel than mine has. Mine has a Rancho stabilizer on it but it may be worn out. My buddies CJ-5 sure does take more effort to turn.

Back