258 Carb, Vacuum Hoses and Engine Timing for Dummies???

jsharifi

So my CJ has been idling like total crap lately... I knew that having the smoothest running carter bbd could only last so long! Anyway, I pulled the venturi cluster this afternoon and cleaned it out. I broke a gasket on one side of it, but put it back in anyway until i can get a replacement. Does anyone know where I can pick up one of those gaskets? Or am I going to have to buy a rebuild kit for just that one gasket?

Anyway, the Jeep is running a little better, but it still idles rough and only idles after its warmed up. I had a look around my vacuum hoses, and I'm starting to think that maybe its time to replace all of them too. They aren't in the best shape and I'm not completely sure that they're even hooked up right. Anyone done this? If you've got any tips or can give a rough estimate for how many hoses and connectors I'm gonna need to buy that would be awesome.

The last thing that occured to me was that maybe my Jeep could use a plug/wires/cap/rotor change. I've never changed em, and I've owned it over 2 years now. I know that I can do this myself... the only part of it that I'm unsure of is setting the timing after the new plugs and wires are installed. So any help there would be appreciated too. :-?

I guess I know what I'm doing this Saturday :lol:
jim[addsig]

Back