jerking at 50

Vern

Help!, when I get to 48-52 mph, my 01 4 cyl. starts jerking, a little faster and it quits, any suggestions?:???:

Is the check engine light on? Is the engine jerking or is the steering wheel pulling?

Thank god this is not a question about senior citizen masterbation.. Jerking at 50..

Never mind

Sounds like fuel delivery issues. is the jerking dictated by speed or by the RPM's?

oh god you guys corrupted yet another thread lol DIRTY MINDS. but i was thinking the same thing when i read the title lol

Jerking at 50, and being DICtated by speed is illegal in several states!

Ok....fuel flow or timing/spark are the first things that come to mind. Does it happen every time or intermittently?

I understand, but does it do it at 48 mph in 3rd and in 4th or just in 4th?

I am still leaning towards a fuel delivery issue. the only other thing I can think of is if there is an exhaust restriction, generally the catalytic converter. it is hard to diognosis over a computer.

Definitely not a cat restriction. I've had that issue and the problem gets worse the faster you go. His problem seems to Occur within a specific speed range, then clear up when he is above it.

Well it happens when I don't go slow into 45 and if I rev it more than 2200 over 45 the it jumps at me I think it's the trans but I. Could be wrong

Does it go away if you go over 50? If soc heck your U-joints, my rear most u-joint went out and I thought my transmission was gonna blow. it happened around 35-40 but would go away at higher speeds.

Is it possible the the crankshaft sensor is bad.

Last edited:
Really check your U-joints. You need to actually take the driveshaft off to really see if the problem is there. After getting mine off it was my rear u-joint. It had no bearings left in it at all.

Vern said:
Is it possible the the crankshaft sensor is bad.

I don't believe that's the culprit. When they go bad the engine usually won't run at all. Is there a chance I'm wrong? Sure, but I really don't believe I am.

I gotta ask; when the engine starts to jerk does it feel like it's also losing power, or does it steadily power through the jerking?

Back