dip stick

MCluvsacj5

anyone know where i can buy a new
oil dipstick tube for a 304.mines
about ready to break.also do i need to rrmove oil pan to install?

I just bought one for my jeep. I got it at advanced auto parts, mines a sbc but would think they would have one for your engine as well. No, you don't need to take the oil pan off, just pull the old one out and slip the new one in. you may need to use some needle nose pliers to get the old sticks tube out of the block. After installing it some people have problems with oil leaking from the tube, if you have that problem, pull the tube again and put a little RTV sealant on it and reinstall.

69jeepcj said:
I just bought one for my jeep. I got it at advanced auto parts, mines a sbc but would think they would have one for your engine as well. No, you don't need to take the oil pan off, just pull the old one out and slip the new one in. you may need to use some needle nose pliers to get the old sticks tube out of the block. After installing it some people have problems with oil leaking from the tube, if you have that problem, pull the tube again and put a little RTV sealant on it and reinstall.

thanks

If i remember correctly Omix ADA or Crown automotive has it. Be carefull when you install the new one. It will have a crimp where the dipstick tube stops at the block. The tube is slightly bigger before it reaches the crimp. You will need to carefully tap it in all the way and use RTV .

I got a new one from the Jeep dealer 5 years ago for a '91 Grand Wagoneer. Wire wheel the tube before installing. Unless you break off the bottom part and can't pull it out with a slide hammer the oil pan doesn't need to come off.

As my 30 would eventually break that dipstick tube from vibration and poor materials I noted on an old 56 in a boneyard the dipstick tube had a strap on its upper end tying it to the valve cover to provide stability. Since I added a short length of plumber's tape and connecting it to a valve cover bolt there been no breakage since :)

4579854418_f77e47d4fd_z.jpg

Back