97 TJ gas mileage

nutznky

What kind of gas mileage would you think a 97 TJ with a 4 banger 5 speed and 4.10s get. It also has a cold air intake, performance chip, and an aftermarket exhaust. 6 inch lift and 35s also.

Last edited:

i would say 10-12mpg.

those tires weigh alot and i believe the gearing is wrong for that tall a tire

I know it needs geared but surely it gets better than 10 miles a gallon. My 95 with the 4.0 has a 6 inch lift and 33s and when it had stock 3.08s it got around 15-16. Now that I put 3.73s in it it gets at least 19 or better. The TJ could probably use a 4.56 or 4.88 I'm sure.

I have a 97 stock suspension with 31" tires..5 speed..4 banger..CAI...I get 15 city and 17 hwy.

But what gear ratio does yours have? Most people don't know that in the 97 TJ with the 4cyl. they also used a 3.55 gear ratio in some and a 4.10 in others. That was the only TJ they did this in if I'm not mistaken. I know it's not gonna get 17-18 mpg, but I was thinking maybe 14-15. Especially with the chip, cold air and aftermarket exhaust. Keep chiming in here guys. Someone on here is running a similar setup I'm sure.

That vehicle stock has an EPA combined rating of 18 mpg:
Compare Side-by-Side

I would expect the performance chip to use more gas instead of less (granted I don't know much about them). Add the big tires to a 15 year old truck and I'd guess you're in the 12-14 mpg range.

So what mpg are you getting, and how long have you tracked it? I record milage and fillups using fuelly and pull 14.4 mpg on my 2005.

i use fuelly also on my 87 and you see what it says at the bottom \/

I don't know what it gets. I'm thinking of buying it for my wife to drive. She wants to drive mine but that's a no no!!!! Just curious what everyone thought and figured someone had a similar setup to compare with.

I have the 4.0 tj 4" suspension 3"body 35" tires 4.10 gear front and rear. Believe it or not i get 22mpg. You should get 13-15.

All the charts I'm pulling up say with 35s and 4.10 gears It should get better fuel economy than stock but less power to the rear wheels. At 65 mph it should run at 2500 rpms which is close to what my silverado runs at that speed and it has 4.10s in it. 4.56s is what it calls for to put it back to stock and compensate for the tires at which point it would then run at 2800 rpms at 65 mph. If this is the case then running at the same speed at 300 less rpms would have to be more efficient but takes it out of its powerband for towing capacity and overall power.

Our 97 is a 4-banger with a 3 speed automatic, what I think are 4.10 gears based on the charts I've seen. Spins 3000 rpm at 70 mph. No lift, 235/75-15 tires, and averages about 13 mpg. On-road the 4-bangers don't get any better mileage than the 6's. Off-road the 4-bangers use much less gas.

Last edited:
The 4-banger TJ with 5-speed came with 4.10 gears. With those big tires and no re-gearing, your engine will be in a bind and mileage will suffer. When I bought my 2001 it had 31" Mud Brutes. 5th gear was practically useless and in-town mileage was better than highway, 15 and 13 respectively. I now have 28's and get about 16.5 in town and 19 on the highway.

Back