CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap

ParsonMac

While in Moab this last week, I decided to take a look at the bolts holding my Superwinch (junk) hubs to the hub/rotor assembly flange as I'd been having trouble keeping them snug. Wouldn't you know, two of them where sheared off leaving the stud in the hub flange. I now only have two bolts (one was sheared off when purchased from PO) holding the hub to the mounting flange. I'd like to replace the '82 five bolt hub/rotor assembly with the 76-81 6 bolt and add Warn Premium hubs. Are bearings, wheel washers etc. cross compatible? What about the spindles? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if that's going to work. My 81 CJ has a model 30 front axles and your 84 model might have a different axle like a model 35 maybe.

have to use the whole spindle they will fit on the axle i did the same thing on my 82 just found a axle on craiglist and switched them out would have used the whole axle but the differential had exploaded

Yes, you can do this. get the spindle and hub thats all that changes, reuse your rotors and calipers. If you want larger brakes as well, the 78 model used 1 1/8" rotor and yours I believe has 7/8". You would need the rotors, calipers and caliper mount to switch to the larger brakes while your at it.

Last edited:
I think you can still do it with a cj, not positive of that though. If not, seems you could get 6 bolt hubs off of a 70,s waganeer or other veichle that had dana 44,s and the 6 bolt hubs. But I believe the dana 30 and 44 interchange from the stub shaft out to the hubs.

I think I understand what your saying. You have a D44 front with CJ D30 outers?

The CJ D30 and the D44 outer castings (knuckles) are interchangable on the axle. I am guessing you did this to get the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I would swap on the 5 stud D44 outer castings from a ford and run the 5 stud spindles with ford D44 outers. You will get a internal locking hub similar to the chevy warn units, the larger bearings and 5 on 5.5 lug pattern.

I think you can still do it with a cj, not positive of that though. If not, seems you could get 6 bolt hubs off of a 70,s waganeer or other veichle that had dana 44,s and the 6 bolt hubs. But I believe the dana 30 and 44 interchange from the stub shaft out to the hubs.

I do believe that is correct.

I think I understand what your saying. You have a D44 front with CJ D30 outers?

The CJ D30 and the D44 outer castings (knuckles) are interchangable on the axle. I am guessing you did this to get the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I would swap on the 5 stud D44 outer castings from a ford and run the 5 stud spindles with ford D44 outers. You will get a internal locking hub similar to the chevy warn units, the larger bearings and 5 on 5.5 lug pattern.

Hmmm, something to think about! Thanks!

Update: Went to fastenall for studs to replace bolts and he presented me with the Nord-Lock Bolt securing system. Here's what their website says:

"Nord-Lock bolt securing systems use geometry to safely lock bolted joints in the most critical applications. The key is the difference in angles. Since the cam angle "α" is larger than the thread pitch "β", the pair of washers expand more than the corresponding pitch of the thread. Any attempt from the bolt/nut to rotate loose is blocked by the wedge effect of the cams.

Nord-Lock washers are available in steel, stainless steel and SMO. All washers are ELV and RoHS compliant. In order to facilitate assembly Nord-Lock washers come pre-assembled in pairs (glued)."

I'm gonna try them out on my current setup. I'll keep you posted on how well they do.

Back