What did you do to your Jeep today?

Jester32 said:
Got it ready to break this weekend first 4x4 party of the year. Yee haw. Lol

Although its going to be tough with out my usual wheelin buddy. RIP chad. Miss ya bud.

Ordered new lift to replace my old sagging wore out one. Hope to install it this weekend or first of next week.

Washed the outside off as it was super dusty from trail riding over the weekend. Did the inside Sunday. Tons of dust inside "e everywhere" when you ride around with only a bikini top and half doors. Cleaning the out side with out getting water all over the inside was kind of tricky.

Well....Last I wrote, I needed a new rearend. So today I finished my project, well I still need to install the brake system and install on my CJ7. Here are the photos. I'm thinking of writing a tech article about building axles....It was fun and I learned alot. I took a lot photos along the way, but these are the before and after....Hope you like!

From this: various 014.JPG

To this:various 068.JPG

Last edited:
Well....Last I wrote, I needed a new rearend. So today I finished my project, well I still need to install the brake system and install on my CJ7. Here are the photos. I'm thinking of writing a tech article about building axles....It was fun and I learned alot. I took a lot photos along the way, but these are the before and after....Hope you like!

From this: View attachment 12896

To this:View attachment 12897

what rear end is that?

If you install some one piece axles in that AMC 20, You'll never have to worry about it again.

What's up Steady.foot........ Got it covered, reused my Superior Axles from my orginial rearend! It should hold up to just about anything after the stitch welding and truss job :bomb:...... FYI to everyone, this project was very low cost using materials readly available.

Noticed a clunk in my front end tonight when coming to a stop, looks like I'll be needing to replace my swaybar link....

those amc20 rear ends look like they are a decent set up. was that the stock normal set up on a cj?

took a long drive on the highway. also did some googling to find out how far off my speedo is. supposedly its 8% off which moves my 2300rpm cruise from about 62 to 67mph.

i think my gas mileage went down a half a mpg also but we'll see saturday

superj said:
those amc20 rear ends look like they are a decent set up. was that the stock normal set up on a cj?

Yes, the AMC 20 was standard on most CJ 7's. Late in 1986 AMC ran low on them, so the last few CJ's had Dana44's. They are super rare and highly sought after.

The one I built in the photo has a truss for added strength and the tubes have been stitch welded.

The AMC model 20 rear axle was the standard axle on cjs from 76-86 and were on some waganeers and maybe some 70,s cherekees (not sure about the cherekees tho). As stated above in 86 dana 44,s went in some of the cj,s. The 20 is considered stronger than the 44 by some because it has a larger ring gear. The axle tube are weak, (hense the truss) and it has a two peice axle design that is weak, but can be cured with one peice shafts. I had a one peice axle model 20 with a locker and ran it HARD for about 10 years with no issues. The yj axles are about 3" wider total I believe.

Been a little bit since I posted: replaced shocks and sheared only 1, that's right, only ONE bolt in half. The very LAST bolt. Every other bolt on that baby screwed right off. The last snapped like a twig. Mofo. Put the top up, packed, and drove to DC. Now he mostly sits by the road as I take the metro to work. :(

that sucks /\

i changed the neutral safety switch and now have reverse lights. also, removed doors again. thinking of removing plastic part of flares but need to see whats under them first

I noticed lastnight my 3rd brake light wasn't working, I checked the bulb and it was good so I had to sand the contacts to it. Now I've got the brake light working again.

Back