What did you do to your Jeep today?

It was rough night. Shoulders were killing me but today has not been bad except I am stuck watching TV all day.

finally changed the u-joints. i need to remember to load the pictures so you guys can see how terrible the one was. i cannot believe it didn't until recently, the internal bearing races that are part of the center of the u-joint assembly were almost half way gone on one side and visibly worn away on the other side.

the old ones were moog and had no place to grease so that is what happened to them. the new ones are spicer and have zerk fittings and to grease like normal.

vibration is all but gone on the ol tj. i believe what is left is from the tires and i believe that are some broken transmission mounts under there. its a slight tiny vibration at take off now, once you are over 10mph, its gone.

i hadn't done u-joints in many many years. what a pain these were to remind me what needs to be done. took a decent sledge to whack them out.

Here is the ujoint that failed. No wonder it didn't want to spin smoothly as the rod bearings were dry and dusty

image000000_01.jpg

vibration is all but gone on the ol tj. i believe what is left is from the tires and i believe that are some broken transmission mounts under there. its a slight tiny vibration at take off now, once you are over 10mph, its gone.

Check drive shaft. I replaced cv shafts on my awd honda with aftermarket that are not balanced well. Same thing a little vib until over 10 mph

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I was wondering about the drive shaft. It's stock so it's possible. I wish we had our old balance machine at work and I still worked in that section. I used to balance the rotor assemblies for the power turbine part of turbine engines. It would be useful to see how the driveshaft is

E3B4411F-227D-442D-8998-631F5228A102.jpegSometimes it’s the small things that can brighten your day. Luv the JK pockets. Bit tight fit to get the JK pockets in with the netting in place but it’s good. With MT the JK pockets are not in the way.

those just stick on? that would be terribly useful to me
If you’re referring to the JK pockets they slip into the panel cut out for the door net pocket in JKs. There are other versions that screw onto the door which could be an alternative method even with these JK pockets.

Love spending my hard earned benjamins on this thing!

Super satisfied!!!
Got a ClearLidz top from a Jeeper in Central Jersey along with a Boss radio w/Maestro and all wiring already spliced so can't beat plug-n-play!!!
Waiting for better weather for the shocks and steering stabilizer... stock height, not extra lift except will be adding a 3/4" leveling puck to the front.

20220306_212146.jpeg

20220307_115421.jpeg

20220307_120908.jpeg

20220307_121838.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
That clear roof is pretty cool, I've never seen that before.

As to the radio - I installed a stereo in the wife's old SUV and used the Maestro to keep all the steering wheel controls- it took a bit of studying (I think I had to program it with my PC), but it was really cool. It functioned just like (better than) stock, and all the other controls worked.

i saw one of those clearlidz for sale in san Antonio, on craigslist, after reading about it on here. i would have never even opened the ad if not for this site

The clearlidz are innovative and spendy when new. When they first came out the QC complaints were fitment and leak issues but maybe thats been addressed since then.

I ordered new tires for the 15 rims I got last week.

30 inch tires since it's going to be an around town jeep for a while. The 32s will be in the garage for when the kids want to go off roading

removed the dark tint plastic off the windows. Was looking nasty.

Back