cj7 tail light problems

got a bunch of weird stuff happening with my tail lights, my right passenger tail light went out first, i went to change it out and it looked good but i replaced it anyway and still wouldnt work so i tried to track down the issue going all the way to the driver side light. found a wire that had been split by a rock or whatever put the wire back together and still got nothing. now both tail lights wont work if i turn on a blinker the light stays lit.....my ground seems to look good, all wires seem to be connected correctly....not really sure where to look next....any thoughts?

Whenever you are having weird electrical problems, it's most likely caused by a poor ground.

3. When the directionals are on do the front flash? I would say check your fuses but you probably did that. Could be a bad ground (as stated above), bad or melted switch, or your wiring from drivers tail light to the switch. What I would do is start at the switch and work my way back.

Re: cj7 tail light problems

Had the same issue years back.. What I did was take out the bulbs and look inside the socket. You will probably see some blue chaulky looking stuff in there. Clean it!! Use electrical cleaner or get a new socket for it. Then under the rear corners of the jeep where your tail light wiring is, the harness is either spiced or a plug is used to connect the tail lights, do the same with it and clean it. Good chance that will fix it.

5. Re: cj7 tail light problems

I think I would check into the blinker directional switch. {turn signal lever on the column} Does that feel loose or have any play in it at all? Had a problem with my yj that the drivers side brake light wasnt working,noticed the turn signal switch was a little loose,and that turned out to be the problem.