Soft Top Window Cleaning Problem

mgrove

Hi folks,

When we bought our '97 TJ a couple weeks ago, a dealer had written the mileage on the side soft window with one of those grease pencils. On a regular glass window you remove this with steel wool, but that would be a problem on the plastic. (no kidding!)

How can I get this off without scratching the clear plastic?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Grove
[addsig]

Mike-

Try GooGone and a soft cloth (like a diaper). You can get it at Wal-Mart or a hardware store. It won't scratch your plastic and it will even remove sticker mess and stains. Try it out.

Andy

p.s. Thanks for the thermo tip. It worked!
[addsig]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip - I'll pick up some GooGone and give it a try.
Glad to hear the thermostat helped!

Mike
[addsig]

Hi again,

I tried the GooGone, but that doesn't take the writing off. Also tried plastic window polish with no luck. Of course now that the weather is warm the top and windows are off (yes!). But I'd still like to get the darn stuff off. If anyone has another idea I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Mike
[addsig]

If GooGone and conventional plastic cleaners didn't work, you might try a buffer and some plastic polish. Just don't rub too hard or you'll scratch and burn through the windows. 3M makes a good plastic cleaner/polisher. If that doesn't work, I would take the windows back to the dealership and make them clean it or get you new ones. Just a thought!
image-missing.png

mgrove:
I'd just stop by that dealer and have them remove it for you. I know the salesmen will propably bitch, but the detailers should be able to clean it up. Be strong. Remember how much you paid for that Jeep.
If not, contact "Meguiars.com" Irvine, California and ask for tech help. These guys have never let me down.
image-missing.png

[addsig]

Thanks guys.... I think I *will* take this up with the dealer.

I appreciate all the suggestions! Have a great weekend,

Mike
[addsig]

Back