Rear diff question.

nutznky

Can I pull the carrier and replace it without screwing up my ring and pinion settings? I have a busted spider gear in the TJ and have been told its easier to fix by pulling the carrier and doing it on the bench but I don't want to screw with it if it requires redoing ring and pinion. It's a stock d 35 with open carrier. Thanks in advance.
Also, I know it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the stock 35 but it's a dd and isn't going on the trails so I'm just gonna repair it for now. I know you you die Hard jeep guys are gonna suggest this so thought I'd clear that up in the beginning. Got the yj for wheeling so this ones a street queen for now anyways.

Last edited:

Open carrier you can do in jeep in about 20 min. Removing the carrier would only add about a half hour to the process if it was trac lock then it would have to be removed

Just place them exactly 180 degrees apart and have someone roll one side axle slowly. That will roll them in. Might take once or twice to get them so you can put the pin in. Just watch your fingers.

Its easier than it looks or sounds, no need to remove the carrier.

My parts should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can get it put back together. I'm pretty good with a wrench on most things but am lost when it comes to gearing or anything in the diff for that matter. Good way to learn I guess. Thanks for your help guys.

Lots of videos on youtube, lots of write ups on the forums with lots of pics, take the time to read and you'll do fine, it really is simple, be sure to look up what size the 12pt socket is to free the center pin, it's been awhile and I don't recall.

Got my parts at 3:00 o'clock and by 4:30 I was cruising down the road. Went ahead and changed out the rear brakes while I had the wheels and hubs off. The spider gears were a pretty straight forward simple task. Thanks to everyone again for the help.

I actually got the little gears to line up first try. Had to fidget with the washers a little but no problems at all. Two of the gears were completely gone and two were not bad except for a little scarring. I kind of thought that was a little odd. Took three cans of brake cleaner to spray all the chunks and flakes out. I can't believe all the local garages wanted $200 plus just for labor to fix it. What a freakin rip off. $200 bucks for an hours worth of work and that was from start to finish. Almost took longer to jack it up, put it on stands and remove the wheels than it did to change it all out. Where u from Tom?

The cost is to put up with the smell of the gear lube AND cover their insurance in case they have to do it again under warranty. Here you would pay $700 for the same job (I just wanted my bearings freshened up and I already had the diff out!)

Back