94 YJ / Need help from the pros

rguynn

This jeep is for sale from a friend and I would like to buy it. I'm concerned about the mileage and I'm wondering if this price is way too high. I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me your opinion.

Thanks
Ryan

Since, I'm new here I can't post a link but this is copied and pasted from craigslist. The exterior looks to be in great shape. $7000 for 189k miles?

1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4.0 straight six with cold ac
5 speed trans
189k miles
Brand new Bestop soft top with tinted windows
Full steel doors with hinge locks so they dont get stolen
Full soft doors included
Custom flush mount led tail lights with CJ7 reverse lights
1 set of Hella driving lights and 2 sets of KC Offroad lights
Mirrors mounted on light brackets so you can run with no doors legally
TJ Flares installed
Air condition works great
Tuffy stereo console with JVC Stereo
Fold and tumble rear seat
Oversize Tuffy work box included with sale, replaces back seat with large steel storage box
Tuffy overhead console also included, overhead console and storage box not currently installed
3.5 in suspension lift from 4WD Hardware
3 in body lift from Performance products
Exhaust replaced with Edlebrock headers and catback
New 33 in BFG All terains
Some rust on chrome wheels, steel doors and talegate. None on body
Carpet removed years ago, bare steel floor painted flat black
Asking $7000 but may negotiate some.

depends on where you live. here, the rust would knock that down to the 5k price range.

all the bolt on stuff doesn;t raise the value of the jeep. the original parts working well does though so the ac is a plus and a new top is a plus. let him list it for a while and see if anyone bites at 7k. if you were in south texas it would be for sale for a long while but i don't know how it is where you are

Thanks for your reply. We're in NC and my fear is that it has seen a lot of beach time, with sand and salt.

depends on where you live. here, the rust would knock that down to the 5k price range.

all the bolt on stuff doesn;t raise the value of the jeep. the original parts working well does though so the ac is a plus and a new top is a plus. let him list it for a while and see if anyone bites at 7k. if you were in south texas it would be for sale for a long while but i don't know how it is where you are

Price is way high, especially without axle upgrades( lockers,gears, ect...) Also that lift is way high. If you buy it lose the body lift, trim fenders if needed and correctly set up the bump stops it will greatly improve that jeep.

Good luck555

I have to agree, the price is high for a jeep with that mileage and it already has some rust on it.. surface rust is pretty easy to deal with, and I would lose the Body lift as mentioned above. 5K sounds more in the ballpark, of course we havnt seen or heard it run either though. Look around, you could probably find the same thing for cheaper.

You are near emerald island? Just guessing as the southern part of north Carolina's coast is the only part I know, ha ha ha.

If its from around a military base, I would also be wary of the use it has seen. Being prior military, I know how young guys can be on vehicles when you're out with a bunch of buddies, ha ha ha.

Thanks for all the advice. I looked at it again today. He agreed to get rid of the body lift and would come down to $6000. Today is the first time I've seen it in person and I was pleasantly surprised with how it ran. To my untrained ear it sounded great. I saw an oil bottle next to his seat and asked him if it was burning oil and he said about a quart every 3-4 fill ups. I've been looking around elsewhere, but they are much harder to find than I thought. Especially the 6 cylinder models. I'm torn. I'd like to help him but I don't want to overpay.

The way I see it is this...if you were able to find one that was stock and you were going to put the same mods on add up the cost and time it would take. If it is cheaper to buy it from him then get it. If you just wanted a jeep and mods aren't important then look for one with lower miles and injoy that one. How much something is worth is determined by how much someone is willing to pay for it. If you like it buy it. Good luck and let us know what you do.

I have to agree with untamed. If you would just put all the mods on another jeep and the cost is comparable then you might as well get that one. The oil burning would be of "some" concern though. It could just be a rear main seal leaking oil (as mine is) or leaking oil pan, valve cover gaskets, or worst case could be bad rings in the engine which may cost a bit to fix if it gets worse, just something to think about. Look under the engine compartment, if you see oil on the pan or bell housing I wouldnt worry too much about it, that would be somthing leaking. If its all clean, then it may have bad rings.

Thanks guys. My hesitation only comes from me really being a complete novice not only to jeeps but mechanics in general. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can feel like I'm making an educated decision and to really understand what I'm getting myself into. I can already see that this jeep will cost me way more than $6000 with all the cool stuff I've read about that I'd like to do.

BTW.. I bought it. Let the fun begin.

Last edited:

Thanks guys. My hesitation only comes from me really being a complete novice not only to jeeps but mechanics in general. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can feel like I'm making an educated decision and to really understand what I'm getting myself into. I can already see that this jeep will cost me way more than $6000 with all the cool stuff I've read about that I'd like to do.

BTW.. I bought it. Let the fun begin.
Congratulations. Welcome to the team. Now we need some epics.

good for you man!!!

i wish i could talk the wife and kids into taking my jeep on our trip in two weeks up to north carolina. dang 30" wide back seat is killing me on road trips

When I was younger, my dad, mom, little brother and I went to visit my granparants in North Carolina in dads 82 cj-7. We had two weeks worth of luggage plus camping gear in the back of that jeep. I don't see how dad packed all of that stuff in there. It was one of the best vacations we ever had, being able to take the jeep up into the mountains, hitting a few logging trail, and the camping.
Many memories of that trip. If you can do it, and your kids are old enough to remember it, I would try hard to take your jeep with you.

That's how I am, I remember trips in my dad's scout and his 89 yj with us going all over Virginia and north Carolina's coastal areas.

My interest in jeeps was started by my dad like this... we would be hunting in the mountains and come across a road that was burmed or one that wasn't used in a long time and my dad would say..."if I still had my jeep we could get thru there." I remember thinking, then why don't you still have one????? So when I got old enough I bought my first jeep and have been going down roads like that ever since.

i am glad my dad always had a 4x4. i remember us going down the fire trails in the country areas of virginia and following the tank trails on camp lejuene. plus, all the beach driving in his 89 yj

I bought a '94 sahara with lockers, 33's, and a bunch of other mods in 2008 for $6K (this was in Miami FL). You can always check KBB.com for a price range...

I'v been following CL out of Charlotte where I got my YJ in a trade, a 95 YJ 4.0 with a 5 speed and no rust. Also 3-4" lift with nice wheels and tires... 31 10.50's along with two nice soft tops. $5000 are the prices to shoot for. And western Jeeps, far and away from the salt like mine. I'd definately look for a 4.0 with a 5 speed though and save the 'want' for more later. There are a lot of yuppie street only Jeeps running around Charlotte and the surrounding areas. And some with anywhere from 80-90K to 120K, so their relatively low-ish. I'v even seen a couple at around 60K on occasion for the $7000 mark. But above 5K it better be really nice.

Back