YJ won't start

steady.foot

Got a call from a friend yesterday and his YJ won't start. Says it will fire when he lets off the key but won't run. I've had this happen before but for the life of me, I can't remember what the problem was. Thought i would run it past you guys before i go look at it sunday. What i know about it. 89 YJ ,4.2, 5 speed. Has new ignition module, new distributor and coil. Fairly new weber carburator. Throw some stuff at me and maybe it will jar my memory. Of all the things in life that i have lost, I miss my memory the most.

I don't know.. UM... nuetral safty switch, crank case position sensor?

An engine needs 3 things, air, fuel, and spark. Is it getting gas? Check if it has fuel pressure or if your fuel filter is gummed up. Is it getting spark? Check you're distributer. Not getting air? Check you're intake. Also check your relays. My 94 wouldn't start because the relays didn't have a good connection. Hope that helps

If it runs in the start position but dies as soon as you let go the key, I would look at the ignition(key) switch. Some when they go bad will not get good internal connection and thus no power it the ignition circuit when in the running position. But it will have good contacts while in the start position.

It doesn't run in the start position, It fires as you let off the ignition. He called yesterday mourning. Something came up and had to cancel. We'll try again next weekend. Thanks for the suggestions so far and If any body has any more suggestions, fire away.

Back