1997 Wrangler High RPM when going from 2nd to 3rd (Automatic)

alexu7890

Hey Everyone i have a 97 Wrangler i bought a couple of months ago and it had not given me any problems until this weekend.
I left the headlights on therefore obviously the battery died. Before jumping the battery i tried to turn it on but of course since the battery was dead it didn't but it did try to turn over once but then just completely died.
So i jumped the battery turned it on, at first the RPM's where super low at idle but after revving it a few times it went to normal. I pulled out of the parking lot but whenever I was at a stop light it would drop the RPM again and stutter like it was going to turn off so i would accelerate it and it would go back to normal.

The Jeep is Automatic so from 1st to 2nd it switches gears fine but when I'm going from 2nd to 3rd @ about 2000 RPM the RPM's shoot up almost red-lining it and the Jeep is not accelerating at all, so obviously i let off the gas and let the RPM's come back down and then it switches gears and its pretty normal from then after.
I checked the transmission oil and its clean and bright red therefore i don't think its a problem with the Sincros but you never know.
Someone told me maybe the timing got messed up when i tried to turn it over but i don't know if that would give me that type of problem.

Any help or opinions or suggestions on something i should do would be appreciated, Thanks.

The computer reset and has to "relearn" that's why it was idled funny when you first jumped it.

Also make sure that you battery is fully charged Jeeps like to have fully charge batteries to run right.

Not real sure about transmission not shifting, It might be a sensor on the transmission? Not real sure about the automatics

alexu7890 said:
Tried it but it didn't fix the problem. Could it be a sensor?

Do you have any cel on? It could be that computer re learning like previous poster said. How many miles have you driven since the reset?

I don't have anything to help you except that the posters stating that the computer has to "relearn" is completely untrue. After a battery is disconnected the computer goes through a cycle to check circuits to be sure everything is ok but there will not be any drivability issues because of this. These checks generally last 10 to 20 miles and 2 on/off cycles but that varies depending on vehicle.

Have your battery fully charged and then load tested. And be sure the terminals and all the ground connections are clean and tight. Clean, as in bright and shiny. Also, make sure there is no contamination on top of the battery.

Another thing to look for is vacuum leaks. There is a vacuum from the driver side engine intake to the vacuum reservoir under the battery. One of those lines may go to your transmission.

A good investment in a OEM field service manual.

BTW The PCM is continuously learning and storing information regarding multiple sensor inputs. When you reset it it uses factory settings for the first 50 or 500 starts. It's in the FSM. So your battery going dead, reset the PCM. And with any non normal starts, there may be an issue that was learned over time. Best is to fix the issue as it's likely causing HP or mpg issues. Start withthe battery as listed as a weak battery will cause rough idle.

Back