Loose Pitman Arm on Gear Box's Sector Shaft

Jeepz4Mee

So on my way back from Wheelin and I noticed that my steering had about 3-4 inches of slop in it. After the getting home and waiting for the rain to subside I got under the jeep and had my significant other turn the steering wheel back and forth while I looked at all the components. I soon realized that my pitman arm has probably a quarter of an inch of up and down play when turning left and right. So I tightened both the castle nut where the drag link meets the pitman arm and the nut that connects the pitman arm to the gear box. But of course there still remains the looseness in the pitman arm. Its like the pitman arm isnt up high enough on the steering box gear because it gives the pitman arm enough space for play. I did use the proper 185 ft/lbs of torge to tighten this down, so I know thats not the issue. Also, I replaced the stock TJ box with a durango one. I just want to know if anyone has had this problem before. I was thinking of just adding some washers to push the pitman arm up the steering sector more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of whats happening:

Pitman Arm Loose at Gear Box Shaft - YouTube

I seen your video. There,s a problem for sure! don't know much about tj,s or swaping the durango box, but from the video it looks like the pitman arm is a slightly larger diamiter than the sector shaft coming from the durango box, allowing the pitman to wobble. I would look into the durango swap again and see if you needed to get a dif pitman arm when doing that swap. If not then I would try putting another large washer like the one on there now and see if that helps.

I seen your video. There,s a problem for sure! don't know much about tj,s or swaping the durango box, but from the video it looks like the pitman arm is a slightly larger diamiter than the sector shaft coming from the durango box, allowing the pitman to wobble. I would look into the durango swap again and see if you needed to get a dif pitman arm when doing that swap. If not then I would try putting another large washer like the one on there now and see if that helps.

Yeah, I made sure I didnt need a new pitman arm multiple times before doing the swap. Also, the stock lock washer is torque down all the way, but its the threads on the sector shaft arent long enough so I am running out when tightening it down. I think I am going to need a washer that goes over the threads and up onto the gear on on the sector shaft to snug up the pitman arm. Does anyone know where I can find a washer that size? I tried home depot but they only have up to 5/8 inch washers, and I am guessing its over an inch in diameter. Any help is much appreciated.

If the pitman arm hole were too large, it would spin over the splines. Looks like your aftermarket pitman arm may either be the wrong type or worn out. Do you still have the stock pitman arm you can try?

If the pitman arm hole were too large, it would spin over the splines. Looks like your aftermarket pitman arm may either be the wrong type or worn out. Do you still have the stock pitman arm you can try?

I do not have the old one anymore, but I think I have the Durango one. Ill give that a try and see what happens. Also, is there only one way the pitman arm inserts onto the sector shaft? Just asking so I dont have it at the wrong degree. Also, this pitman arm fit fine on my stock box, so I wonder why it is loose on this one.

Back