oil weight

Greencuke

im over due to change my oil. What is a good weight to put in? itll be warm weather soon in NE, so keep that in mine
reggie[addsig]

10-40 is the standard all yr oil. 5-30 is lighter and mostly for winter use and depending upon the temp extremes maybe you could put 50 wt in. I wouldn't recomend 50wt in most cases because of the thickness and inability to get in the oil pump when it's cold. So basically i'd recomend the good old 10-40.[addsig]

I run a mix of synthetic and organic is a 50:50 ratio at 10w40w. Straight organic was tested against the synthetic and, of course, it held up better and retained the wetness of the metal - a most important aspect of a good oil.

An old racer, forgot the name, played around with the mix of both the wetness of the synthetics and the economy of the organics and found that he was able to retain both attributes in a 50:50 blend. I started using this when syns first came out, because it made sense to me. Plus, my engines always leaked oil, or burned some oil and i was changing/loosing oil too fast to afford the cost of pure syn.

Now, you'll find a mix of syn/org packaged for you ready to pour. Seem the oil companies finally caught on to that old racer. ;-)

blue
[addsig]

Back