manual vs automatic

cary

I'm about to buy my first Jeep for offroad. I found a used certified Rubicon with everything I wanted (lift, snorkle,tires,color...) except it is an automatic transmission. I thought offroaders should be manual transmission.
Is there a standard for this?

I love my auto and will never go back to a stick. I have had my jeep on all kinds of trail you can view in my profile in my sig to see if you wish.

i like both trans but for a jeep i prefer an automatic. their automatic transmissions are bullet proof

Manual vs Auto is a matter of preference. I personally prefer a manual because it is all I have ever driven and I like the idea of putting the transmission into a gear and it will stay there. Besides using a manual on harder trails can add it's own unique challenges. That being said, an Auto you can 2 foot drive to control wheel spin and it will make the steep and off kilter situations a little less goosey than with a manual and needing to 3 foot drive.

Welcome to Jeepz and keep us updated with what you decide and where you take your Jeep. Remember, WE WANT PICTURES!

Bacon

I have a Rubicon with the auto and like it a lot. I originally wanted a stick, but after talking with a lot of people ended up going auto. With an auto you never worry about stalling it in situations. Smooth, metered power that you can roll into. Couple that with the Rubicon 4-1 transfer case. T-case in low & trans in low, nice n slow, great for crawling. Push button factory lockers nice too.

I prefer a stick,but off roading would like to have an auto,I have stalled so many times with the stick trying to climb a rock with out goosing it and hopping all over,or mud pits that get real sticky fast have bogged me out and made me stall.Auto takes care of all those problems.now the good of a stick,better gas milage more control of what the Jeep is doing.With he 2.5l you get lower gears with a stick.a lot easier going down hill in bad weather or loose rocks.More of a preference thing though.They both have there good and bads.

I have an auto and like it for Wheelin. The issue with the auto for me is with the 35" tires and the 4.88 gears I'll be at 3k rpm's @ 60mph. You just don't have those extra gears for the freeway. So I flat tow or throw it on the trailer for runs.

I've always had a preference for standard transmissions in whatever I was driving, one of the benefits is if/when they go wrong I've found they're chaper to rebuild/have rebuilt than automatics (in my area at least).

I vote standard. Less chance of getting stranded. No need to worry about leaking ATF or your trans. getting waterlogged in those deep mud holes. Even if a standard trans. breaks its usually just a gear or two that gives up, so at least you can still get home.

Mostly it's personal preference. Many people i've talked to that wheel them a lot definitely prefer and auto. You have much more control going up steep hills. That said, I prefer manual just because.

I prefer a manual, because it's a Jeep! Yep, lame, but still my opinion...

I like my auto, but I'm like Sahara707, my rpm's are thru the roof at higher speeds and I just gotta take it.
Auto is great off road. I was razzed for my auto when I first joined the Muddy Buddys. Whatever, You just jealous.

TrailRatedRN said:
I like my auto, but I'm like Sahara707, my rpm's are thru the roof at higher speeds and I just gotta take it.
Auto is great off road. I was razzed for my auto when I first joined the Muddy Buddys. Whatever, You just jealous.

I would razz you to for joining the MUDDY BUDDIES. sorry, lol

ha ha ha, mud wrestling RNs, what? ha ha ha

A Jeep is made for a Manuel. If you are a semi to serious offroader you want Manuel. Bottom line it gives you more options and gear to rpm ratio. IM sorry don't want to offend anyone but an automatic Jeep is a highway Jeep maybe even a beach.cruzer at best.

Back