Paint job

kearashae

I wanna re-paint the jeep because it needs an update, fix some scratches and just overall personalize it to me... How much would this cost just to get a solid nothing fancy color to the whole body?

I need paint to. I think I'm gonna buy the kit from Walmart and paint it myself

Are you going to paint it yourself or hire it done? The first time i painted my jeep(about 5 years ago) It cost me just over $100 to do. I bought the cheapest paint i could find. International white tractor paint,reducer and hardener at tractor supply and some sand paper. I didn't have much money left after building the YJ so i had to go cheep. A neighbor friend just bought paint for his jeep and paid almost $200 just for the paint. No idea what it would cost to hire it done.

If paying a shop you get what you pay for.Some shops will do it on the cheaper side,but they will not remove anything.For a good job all glass,seats,hood,tail gate,doors roof need removed.Granted with a Jeep this is not hard,but if painting it should have inside and out painted,or inside rhino lined.Once removed,sanded then fix dents,then float bondo on entire Jeep to fill in any minor imperfections.Now time for more sanding then the fun painting starts.Primer then paint then clear....So depending on how far you want to go it can run any where from a few hundred to 10's of thousands..lol

There's a lot to painting a vehicle. I would bever discourage anyone from doing anything themselves but you need to make sure your not biting off more than you can chew. If you've never done it before study up on it, watch some videos, talk to people. Then get you a junkyard hood and give it a try, if it turns out to your liking proceed to your jeep. Also with the junk hood you can see if you like a color or not and get the hang of a new gun.

When I bought a tailgate, it was over $100, I think close to $150 to match my black jeep. From that, I would guess that the shop would charge me at lest 1k to do the whole thing. Just a guess.

My Brother is a car painter, I have a friend with a hot rod that wants him to paint it. My brother told me that he used to do side jobs cheap but any more he dont. He said now he charges around 3000 for a whole car. As stated above there is a lot to do the job correct, and said it is a real pain to take all of the trim, lights, hood, and all associated parts, and preping before painting. He said it just isnt worth all the work when trying to give buddies deals. So I would say between a grand and three. As stated, you get what you pay for. I would say my bro was a higher quality painter though, he paints everything from BMW,s to my uncles 40,000 street rod.

A cheaper way to go might be to find a vocational school.I went to a vo-tech High school.When I wrecked my pick up.Took it to school.They straiten the frame,replaced the whole front end,painted the whole truck.All it cost me was material.Total was around $300,mainly in the paint.Down fall is the time it may take them to do it.took them over 2 months.Everything was nice when done,the teacher makes them re do any mistakes which slows them down,but it is done right.

Some community colleges do it also...I dated a girl who's dad was the shop teacher and his class totally restored his old mercury. Turned out great.

How was your grade, since you were dating the shop teacher's daughter, and all?

LOLOLO!!! I was in high school and he was teaching at the college. I'm not that dumb......don't you say anything TRRN!!!!

MAACO they always run sales on paint jobs

not best paint job but not bad for a jeep on a budget

If you do the prep work a Maaco is decent. If you pay a little more they can do it In base clear for a tougher finish.

I've always wondered how Maaco could paint 'em so cheap. Materials have went way up in the last 5yrs. They must be mixing they're own paint and making up the colors themselves. My buddy just painted his Superglide himself and he said he had $250 in materials, now this wasn't tractor paint or acril enamel but still...a tank and 2 fenders. I know for the cheapie jobs Macco does it doesn't include bodywork your just getting a scuff and shoot. Like Jester32, said if you prepped it well before you took it to them you might come out pretty good.

My Brother is a car painter, I have a friend with a hot rod that wants him to paint it. My brother told me that he used to do side jobs cheap but any more he dont. He said now he charges around 3000 for a whole car. As stated above there is a lot to do the job correct, and said it is a real pain to take all of the trim, lights, hood, and all associated parts, and preping before painting. He said it just isnt worth all the work when trying to give buddies deals. So I would say between a grand and three. As stated, you get what you pay for. I would say my bro was a higher quality painter though, he paints everything from BMW,s to my uncles 40,000 street rod.

I had ours done two years ago at a pro shop near my house for $2200. Paint the whole thing, original color, and install two new Rugged Ridge front fenders (I bought separately) to replace the rusty originals. Took the whole thing apart, basecoat/clearcoat, show quality, but that's how I roll. :shades:. My bud who owns the shop told me that while Jeeps don't really have a lot of surface area they do have a lot of little nooks and crannies that make them rather time consuming to prep and paint if you want to do it right.

My daughter's boyfriend is going to auto tech school and they will repair cars and do bodywork for the cost of parts and material, however it will usually take longer because they are using your rig to teach.

Back