Ax-5 transmission issues

Kiltedindyyj

Need help! My transmission is driving me crazy. Couple weeks ago was driving home and put it in 5th gear let out clutch and started to sound like engine/teams wAs falling out. Put it back into 4 th and noise stopped. Still drives ok but sometimes reverse is hard to engage and it has bound/locked up once. I replaced the teams fluid to see if it helped. 1st thru 4th are good but 5th and reverse seems screwed. Trans has 141k on it but $$$ is tight right now. Any suggestions would be awesome. I am think a transmission swap but not sure what will fit and be as cheap as possible.

Thanx in advance for everyone's help
Steven

without buying an adapter from someone like Advanced Adapters the only one that will fit is the one you have (or one like it), you can try to find an auto trans I guess but that means changing the transfer case and a lot of wiring and running coolant lines.

what you can try since you live near a city is try to find a dodge dakota with a 2.5L and see if it has a 5 speed, that will be an AX-15 with a bell housing that will fit your 2.5L, you have to be careful in measuring the input shaft lengths and you'll at least need a new clutch, its still a few hundred dollars to do.

What you have, to aid in your searching is what they call a "GM metric pattern" bell housing, also known as a "GM 60 degree" pattern, but you have to careful going by that because all input shafts and splines to the transfer case will be different and require new shafts.

The best option if money is very very tight is to find another AX-5 that is a direct bolt in replacment and drive it very carefully and try very hard to make it last.

Was that the first time you have changed your transmission oil?
If so:
How long have you owned the Jeep?
What type of trans oil did you use? GL3? GL5? Synthetic?

If not?
What type have you been using?

I have an old AX5 transmission you can have for free, has about 140kish miles on it. Felt solid last time I used it. Transmission is located in Denver, Colorado.

Let me know.

Bacon

Thanks for your help. I did just change teams fluid for the first time. It was changed by po but not sure when. I used pennzoil syncromesh when I did it. Shift good first thru fourth but that's it.
Bacon any thought on how much it would be to ship to Indiana? At this point working is better than what I have. I was also wondering about using an ax-5 from a Toyota, been researching and found they used same trans

Sorry cut me off. Wondering if Toyota trans would work in jeep. Not sure of output/input matching but a option I guess. Jeep still getting me to work so can't complain just hope it holds out til I can figure something out. Again thanks for all the help/info.

The bolt pattern is the same but the input shaft is quite different and the output shaft is different too, and you can't use the toy transfer case as its a passenger side drop

Kilt, the transmission is about 85lbs. Freight shipping is about 300 bucks =(. I am unable to figure out a non freight cost.

Sorry I cant to any better.

Bacon

Thanx bounty great info. Ok so after a ton of hours researching I think using a dodge Dakota ax-15 from a 2.5 should work. They are way cheaper than an ax-5 used. From what I have read they will bolt up to my current 2.5 with a longer pilot bushing. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Will my np231 bolt up if I get the same yr ax-15? Thanx again for everyone's help.
Steven

if you get it from a 4 wheel drive dakota you can use the already mated transfer case, it will also be a driver side drop, I have been looking for this information also about output splines and input NP-231J shafts and not much is out there, I'm thinking lately though I'm going from a 60 degree pontiac v-6 to an AW-4 with a 231 already on it, but I'll have to use the dakota bell housing between them.

I can provide you with almost any Jeep 231 input shaft needed to bolt up to most transmissions. I've got a lot of 231 parts on hand.

Ok so found out that the ax-15 from a dodge Dakota has a 21spline output which matches my factory tcase. So other than the clocking being off should mate up. Otherwise from what I have read swapping input shafts on tcase is not overly difficult. Now to decide on a pull apart trans or going through used-parts.com. Better make a trip to parts yard and see what's available I guess. By the way if I have not said it, thank you all for the help/info. Jeep people are the best cause it really is a "JEEP" thing. I will try and document and post pics when I get this accomplished.

Changing the input shaft is what you so when installing a SYE, it is easy to do, and several suppliers will have what you need relatively cheap.

Changing the input shaft is what you so when installing a SYE, it is easy to do, and several suppliers will have what you need relatively cheap.
You do not change the input shaft when installing a SYE, you change the mainshaft.

Back