looking to get a 94 or 95 wrangler, what are the pros and co

mark13

I am looking to buy a 94 or 95 wrangler, with low miles and 5 speed transmission for around $5000.00 or so. I have a 86 CJ7 at the moment but need something a little more road friendly. I would like to get some input on those years. I also will be willing to sell or trade my CJ7 for a 94 or 95 wrangler. Any info would be a big help. Email me at phins420@aol.com. Thanks, Mark
[addsig]

I think 94 is a YJ, and 95 is a TJ with a big redesign. Do you like round or square headlights? I believe that a TJ will give you a better road ride, do to its improved suspension.
[addsig]

94 and 95 are identical. There was no 96 and tj started in 97. It's hard to find a good, low mileaged 94 or 95 or any year jeep for $5000. Expect to pay around $8000. This is how to make the cj drive good.

1. Adjust the steering box. I hope you know where the box is. There is an adjusting screw on the top of the box. There is an access hole in the crossmember over the box. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and count the turns. Divide this in half and turn the wheel that much from one of the locks. That spot is dead center on the steering gear. Loosen the locknut a few turns on the adjusting screw. It takes a 5/8" wrench or something close to that. Turn the screw in untill it hits bottom then loosen it 1/8 turn. It takes an allen wrench. Hold the screw in this position and tighten the locknut.

2. Check for play in the tie rods. If the ball joints are good you'll probably want to have the alignment checked anyway

3. Replace every rubber bushing with polyurethane. This includes all body mount, sway bar, spring, and shackle bushings. If you don't have a sway bar, get one.

4. Install a new steering stabalizer.

5. Install a steering box brace. Do this 2nd if you have a drop pitman arm.

6. Install track bars. These are bars that hold the axle in place laterally. This is the last thing to do and you shouldn't need them.

Do the first step first and the last step last. You can change the order of the rest. My 81 CJ-8 was terrible, i didn't want to go much over 40 mph. Then i did 1, 2, 4, and 5. That made it handle good. I had allready bought the bushings so I installed them. Now the jeep drives better than my 98 dodge. My jeep has SOA, yours probably doesn't, so yours should drive even better than mine. I just wish it would go faster. It's top speed is currently 59 mph. Most of the things mentioned are for problems that come with age. You'll eventually have to do them to the YJ. And you have an 86, thats probably the best year of a CJ.
[addsig]

[ 95 is a TJ ]

Wow, what a brain fart on my part....
image-missing.png

Back