worst day ever

josue estrada

Just when u thought the worst had happened. So I'm driving down the highway, everything seemed fine and out of nowhere a huge bang goes off and the jeep shuts off and I struggled to take it to the side of the road. Gears won't work and I think the transmission just blew. I was heading home from college to see the family and now I'm stuck waiting for a tow with no one around that I can trust to look at my jeep. Not to mention an hour away from home and an hour away from school the other way. Tomorrows a holiday so noone will be open and then tuesday I have to be back at school. F my life. Not sure where to go from here. Let's hope the tow comes soon

Have you tried putting it in 4hi to see if it'll move?

Its a 5 speed. I couldn't really tell from where. It happened so fast. I just know it was below me. I have 45 miles till I get this towed home. 200 bucks for the tow!!! I looked under there and it looked like the rear diff had shifted somehow? The angle of the thing that connects to the yoke seemed way too steep

Well what a day. Almost home and the tow mans trucks front right tire blows. I mean fender got bent and headlights gone. Tire completely shredded. I thought my jeep was gonna fly. But now we are both stuck on the side of the highway trying to get rescued

Wow, that's a bummer. Did you get your gas in the oil problem sorted out, or could this be part of the same thing?

I was looking at it this morning and it seemed that the rear end turned. I don't know how that could have happened but the drive shaft look out of angle and the u joint from the transfer case seems to be sticking out way too far out. How this happened going 60 miles on the high way and not hitting any kind of pot hole I don't know. And what the big bang was I'm not sure either but it caused the jeep to turn off automatically and after that I couldn't get any gear to work. The jeep would just rev up and as i let of the clutch it would shut off. I head back to school later today and sadly I will be going without a jeep so this might take a while to fix seeing as I won't be around a lot to fix it and depending on the damage also.

at this point im just trying to find someone who knows anything about jeeps that would work on my jeep while im away or atleast tell me whats wrong since its just sitting at home unmovable. and I don't want to tow it to a shop. no way . that's a last resort thing

Sounds like your rear blew up. No gear worked because all the gears in the rear were destroyed and the yoke slipped foward. 4 wheel drive didn't work because the drive shaft was still connected to whats left in the rear. Did it roll free (when the tow put it on the roll back) or were the rear wheel(s) locked up. Do post some pics I'm willing to bet the $20 I win from the other thread that this is what happened. Could be an easy fix depending on what it looks like

yes it did roll free and lets hope you do win the 20$ and its an easy fix

here are some pics

Attachments

• Bloom-20120903-00168.jpg
    Bloom-20120903-00168.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Bloom-20120903-00166.jpg
    Bloom-20120903-00166.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Bloom-20120903-00171.jpg
    Bloom-20120903-00171.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 12
OK not what I thought it was may actually be an easier fix. Looks like your U bolt on the passenger side broke. I can't zoom into the pic so can you confirm it? With the axle tilted like that it looks to have pulled the front yoke out of the T-case. Let me know when you can

Looks like your axle rolled of the spring perches. Are those wedges between the spring and axle?

what seemed to happen was that the axle did roll from the wedges. the u bolts must not have been tight enough or the weld might have broken. How do we fix this?

When you installed the lift blocks under the rear axle, did you have to weld them in place? I've never done that type of lift before, and can't really tell you what's right, but I can't see anything broken in the photos, only the fact that the rear axle has rolled backwards. Are the spring perches still on the axle, or did they break off? The spring perch should be welded to the axle, and looks like this:

PPM-3130-250-400.jpg

To get started putting it right, I'd jackup the Jeep supporting it by the frame (you'll need tall jack / jackstands), then with the wheels off the ground, try to roll the axle into place. Most likely either the spring perch or ubolts are broken. Upload some more photos of where your springs meet the axle (can't really see the perches from the angle of the other photos).

The good news is that you may not have really broken anything major.

thats there but there are blocks that were put on there to correct the angle of the shaft i believe a while back. the blocks broke and caused the axle to shift

Back